Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RS26
State: Colorado
THOR #6996
Spare tire mount

My Thor RS26 has no spare tire. What in your opinions would be the best and safest spare tire mount?

Thanks

Old 04-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Have you considered the compartment under the bed and slide? It may be large enough if you're willing to give up the storage space. I've seen various motorhomes with spares in storage compartments from factory. With a tape measure you can rule this in or out as an option.

if you don't have tanks between frame rails at rear that's also a convenient place to add a spare. However, with your rear bath that space is probably taken.

You can always go with a hitch mount that works on practically all vehicles equipped with a receiver.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:21 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I don't have a spare on my 26B. At my age and health I didn't think it was practical or safe to be changing tires out on the road so we are opting for roadside assistance.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:22 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
I bought a holder that goes into the receiver. Works perfectly
Old 05-07-2017, 11:52 PM   #5

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
I don't have a spare on my 26B. At my age and health I didn't think it was practical or safe to be changing tires out on the road so we are opting for roadside assistance.
I was thinking of that...I decided if I had a need, without a spare, they would have to either repair or replace the tire. Possibly they could repair at roadside, but I doubt it. If I had a spare, they could just change the tire and I'd be on my way. So I plan to get a spare. Haven't yet done it.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:06 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
I do not carry a spare, But I do carry a Quality Tire Plugging Kit around $12 dollars (at any auto store) and a mini air compressor (one of those with built in jumper cables Warehouse Club). Personally I have only had to change one tire on the road but I am getting really good @ plugging them. Tire stays on rig while plugging and is a Permanent fix unless sidewall damage. Once I did have Sidewall damage and used 7 plugs on one hole and held till I made it to a tire shop. Plugging takes 15 min. I also do all the neighbors now......
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:18 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #8058
Spare TIRE Mount

I purchased a spare tire mount from e-trailer. It fits into the trailer hitch. Works great.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #8

THOR #8058
Question Spare Tire mount on back bumper

I have a 24F, I mounted the spare on an eTrailer adaptor that fits into the hitch. But I can't tow anything. I want to move the spare up onto the bumper using a Stromberg Carison 2" bolt on bumper plate item # BA-100. Does anybody know the bumper weight limitations???
Old 04-05-2018, 11:27 PM   #9

THOR #10823
We have an RS26 and also no spare. I plan to pick up a plug kit and pump like rvjeffrey, beyond that. Roadside assist. Two replaced hips and a bad back I just don't see myself wrestling a wheel and tire.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:40 AM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46555 View Post
We have an RS26 and also no spare. I plan to pick up a plug kit and pump like rvjeffrey, beyond that. Roadside assist. Two replaced hips and a bad back I just don't see myself wrestling a wheel and tire.

Be advised that it takes a decent pump to inflate a tire to 75-80 pounds. Even if it’s rated for more it can take a very long time with several periods of cooling off.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46555 View Post
Plug kits are a good temporary fix until you can get a proper patch repair done. Down side is if you get a blow out.
I just ordered a wheel and have a tire already to mount when it comes in.
The next thing is where to carry it.
GS roadside assistance is only good if you have a spare.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #12

Model: 22FE
THOR #8606
I fabricated a spare mount for my Class C on the bumper. I have roadside assistance and the spare for them to mount in case of a problem. If you don't have a spare, plan on a very long wait for a fix (if you can find one) as with any other type vehicle and flat tire issues.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Amen! In our house the motto is... "Why Worry About Things That Might Never Happen".
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #14

THOR #8058
Sp Tire mount weight??

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
I fabricated a spare mount for my Class C on the bumper. I have roadside assistance and the spare for them to mount in case of a problem. If you don't have a spare, plan on a very long wait for a fix (if you can find one) as with any other type vehicle and flat tire issues.
How much weight can the bumper carry? I want to add a receiver to the bumper to hold my etrailer spare tire mount/tire.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluiceman2 View Post
How much weight can the bumper carry? I want to add a receiver to the bumper to hold my etrailer spare tire mount/tire.

I contacted Thor about the options for my Freedom Elite 26 HE. I knew that a mount on the rear wall is an option for the Four Winds and other versions of my machine. I thought that even though Freedom Elite models do not include a spare possibly the support structure inside the wall might be there. Alas, Thor said it is not. The structure is part of the optional spare tire package (which CW in their quest for a low price did not include). So then I asked about a bumper mount and I was told that it absolutely COULD NOT support the weight of a spare tire. After considering my options I chose a Roadmaster 5225 (I think it is) hitch mount that still enables the use of the hitch for other purposes. In my case it also carries a pair of bicycles. The mount is very pricey at $500 but it is massively engineered and will serve for several RVs to come. It’s very easy to use and levers down and up so that you don’t have to lift the tire and to give access to any rear storage compartments. Or a slide if you remember to lower the spare first! I consider a spare tire to be a essential piece of equipment though I don’t carry the tools to change it. I’m confident though that roadside assistance will work quickly and easily if I have a good spare. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #16

THOR #10823
Good info on the bumper, thanks! I have to figure if the 26 HE bumper won't support it the RS 26 won't either. Sounds like I'd better call Thor and see if the Quantum has the spare tire package. Interesting that when I questioned the dealer about having no spare, his response was "you have roadside assist, just call them." Seems he omitted the small detail about needing to have a spare. I suppose I could carry the spare in the toad.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:12 PM   #17

Model: 22FE
THOR #8606
Bumper won't support spare tire? I weigh in the range of 230 and it supports me jumping up and down on the bumper with the spare on it. I didn't weigh the spare tire and wheel but in the 75-85 lb. range my best guess. The bumper itself is mounted to the end of frame with some 3/4" bolts and is at least 3/16ths" steel square tubing. Seems more than sufficient to support 85 lb. tire. Only weak spot would be the U-bolts that I used that are soft steel that may crack over time due to stress. I used standard U-bolts but plan on getting some hardened steel or stainless ones in near future. My bracket places the tire right up flush against the bumper. I'm 73 yrs. old and was able to lift up on stud and hold there with one arm while screwing on nut hand tight then torqueing to 80 ft. lbs. My rig is 22FE. Maybe the O.P. has different bumper?

If you use the standard type spare tire bumper mount that's made for a trailer tire, NO that type is to flimsy and hangs out to far from bumper and will no doubt fail. The bracket, not the bumper.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:53 AM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
I agree with Pete. I have no intention of carrying the tools to change a tire, however, I want a mounted tire on board to make it possible for roadside assistance to have something to change to.

We travel with two dogs so really do not want to have to have the RV towed just for a blown tire. If nothing else, we were traveling just north of BRANSON MO and passing a Class C when their front tire blew (we were in our car) Four hours later, they were still on the side of the road...

I know that having a tire on board might not make it quicker, but out in the boonies, it will probably make me feel "safer"
Old 04-08-2018, 04:10 AM   #19

THOR #8058
Adding a Stromberg Carlson bumper mt #BA-100

I'm going to ask the hitch/weld shop what do they think about the BA-110 bumper mt hitch.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:17 AM   #20

Model: Ace 30.4
State: Louisiana
THOR #9620
Lowe’s sells a kobalt portable a/c that can use 110v ac or 12v dc for about $50. I like it.