Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maryland
CR-V Battery Upgrade

I have a 2012 Honda CR-V that I recently set up for towing. The original battery only lasted about 3 years, and I bought a "gold" level replacement battery, which lasted less than 3 years. It had a 3-year warranty, so I got a free replacement. Since this car eats batteries, and the stock battery is about the size of a lawn tractor battery, I upsized to a group 24 size battery. It was the same price as the smaller battery, so the auto parts store let me get the larger battery for the warranty replacement.

I got a battery tray and battery cover for a Honda Odyssey, and it all fit into the CR-V just fine using the existing hold-down. The negative battery cable is tight, but it fits.

This will give me some additional reserve capacity and less worry about the toad battery going dead. I also have a Hopkins Towed Vehicle Battery Maintainer installed, but the bigger battery seems like a worthwhile upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crvbattery.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	10720  

jabrabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #2

Model: 2015 Vegas 25.2
State: California
Do you have a trickle charger on the toad battery? One of the 7 wires that comes back from the RV is 12V. I have mine wired to the trickle charger.

Since the toad break system and steering unlock requires me to keep the toad key in the ON position, the charger keeps the toad battery charged.

Added: HWH Kick-Down Leveler; RoadMaster Anti-sway bars; Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser; Accede Backup Sensor Kit; cylinder locks (w/one combo lock); custom sink cover; Pioneer AVH-4100 NEX front radio; Pioneer MVH-X5560BT rear radio; Oxygenics Shower head; ScanGuage II; Blue Ox Tow Bar w/RVi Brake 2; Winegard Rayzar Automatic TV antenna; Trimark Steel door lock; Dometic 310 toilet; whatever is next.
gbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #3

State: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Do you have a trickle charger on the toad battery? One of the 7 wires that comes back from the RV is 12V. I have mine wired to the trickle charger.

Yes, that is the Hopkins Battery Maintainer that I mentioned in my post. I haven't actually towed the CR-V yet, but plan to for our big summer trip. I need to hook it up and test everything out soon.
jabrabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #4

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
My CRV tows very nicely. When I need a battery I'll work to get more capacity like you did with a size 24. Thanks for the info.
Gary A is offline   Reply With Quote