Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #12
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Good point. That piece of plastic is rather flimsy and may vibrate while going down the road. The dash panel is above that by about a foot. The ducting is the intake for the automotive climate system.

In our Axis we do have a good amount of wind noise that sounds like some is getting around the dash panel--something I hope I've already fixed with the fatmat sealing off the sides of the dash panel.

This has been a very interesting discussion.
Another interesting example of the effects of vibration and sound. In my house I have a relatively open floor plan. One day my wife, myself and some friends gathered for a movie night. In my family room I have my television connected to an AV receiver with full surround sound. During the movie I noticed an on again - off again rattling noise in the room and it drove me nuts. I spent three days trying to figure out what was happening and blamed everything from the TV to the receiver and the wife's knick knacks. Turns out I needed to blame my wife. The day of movie night she pulled the refrigerator and stove away from the walls for cleaning. When she pushed the refrigerator back she went too far and the plastic water line for the water dispenser was resting against the wall. When the refrig motor would kick in it would cause the water line to vibrate against the wall and cause the vibration related sound to carry through the interior (non-insulated) walls into the family room. The solution to the problem, pull the refrigerator out from the wall 1/4 inch. The moral to that story, never tell my wife something is her fault. Since then I have always had to move the frig and stove for cleaning because in her words "she can't do it right".

Insulating the side of the dash may not completely solve your problem if there are other components connected from that panel to the dash if those components are not "vibration proofed".

As a note, as proven during many hearing tests while on active duty and since retirement, there are many sound levels that I cannot hear through the ear canal but I can hear through vibrations hitting the base of the skull and traveling to the inner ear. My wife likes to say I am deaf in one ear and can't hear out the other (too many years around things going boom in the night). She now suspects my hearing aid has an on/off switch and she has started watching my left hand while talking to me. She thinks the back of my left ear itching whenever she is talking is too coincidental. Hey, it took over 25 years for her to become suspicious of that little trick, and she's still not certain. BTW, no on/off switch but there is a volume control which serves the same purpose.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum