Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 04:53 AM   #3
TyCreek

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Access Panels Annoyed Me!

The access panel to the hot water valves required removal of 4 screws and this was simply not acceptable to me. It doesn’t make sense to me why a manufacture would make access so inconvenient?

This panel got a simple solution to easy access, by using magnets that I happened to already have stuck to the garage refrigerator. An old button found with a metal detector used as a pull knob.

Another panel for access to the water pump under that bathroom sink got the same magnet treatment but an old shell casing was used here as its pull.

The worst panel access design has to be the one for the fresh water tank drain valve! This is probably the most used valve on the rig and the most difficult to access because the big compartment needs to be emptied for taking that full panel out.

The thought of being able to see the tank water level entered my head … so a clear piece of acrylic got cut to fit. A hole cut for access to the valve without removing the panel. This hole was outlined with strip magnets and then a facing layer cut to accommodate slightly offset magnetic attraction.

A slightly oversized piece of acrylic stuck to the magnets made a perfect access panel for the drain valve area. This panel doesn’t need a grab knob because the edge works for easy removal.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum