Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Camping World
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 12:02 PM   #8
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
as for CW and repairs, we've dropped by CW twice in the first several years of ownership, typically to have an issue with a slide motor repaired/diagnosed.
The first, in central Georgia, was a quick and successful replacement of the main slide's front motor. (they also found one of our picture frames under the slide!)... it was all within 30minutes of us stopping in. Nice.

The second, later at another CW location, in TN I believe, was a oil change/service of the diesel engine. No issues, quick service, and a good price. Not a long wait at all... and,

At that same CW, we requested a look at our rear bedroom slide, as it would not go out. They diagnosed it and said that a motor replacement was probably in order, though it would require them to 'drill a hole thru the outer slide trim' in order to remove the motor set screw. What?? NO, I said, I would certainly not allow that, as I was sure that Thor had a 'better' way to get the slide out 'manually' to do the work. They said that it could not be done, so I packed up and left for our next Florida destination.

When I arrived in Florida, I did some research to learn how to manually extend the slide. I actually could do it myself, as the bedroom slide is not too large or heavy. I then contacted Thor and asked them to ship me a replacement motor since the CW location had diagnosed the issue but could not make the 'repair'. While Thor typically does not ship parts to customers, they did in this situation since a shop had already diagnosed the problem, and it actually would be much cheaper for Thor to send me the motor for a self install, than to pay CW for warranty labor! It worked out just fine.

So, yes, any rv shop can be hit and miss when it comes to diagnosis and repair, but I say that CW, like most shops, can easily handle most RV issues that arise, but you have to really stay on them about what you expect and how they should handle your repair. Don't always assume that any repair shop is always correct. If it doesn't sound right, or 'feel' right, take your marbles elsewhere for a 'second opinion'.

I'll also admit that I am stunned that many folks take their RVs to repair shops, and just let the facility hold their RV 'hostage' for weeks and months while the shop 'works' on their RV....baloney!! Don't do that!
Tell them your issues, tell them that you have a vacation already set in several days and you cannot 'wait' or allow them to take more than a day or two. Don't let them tell you that it will have to 'wait' until they are able to get to it.

Expect and demand your repairs be taken care of promptly!

Everytime we've stopped at CW we have told them that we are full-timers and have to have it looked at now, and repaired now.... We've yet had them turn us away or not taken care of it during that day.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum