Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #61
16ACE27
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley-Dilley View Post
True story on the driving in Europe. Many of those countries also have speed limits. It’s pretty simple on many of the highways because they are two lane. Left lane for passing and if you’re not passing you drive in the right lane. They also have speed guns with cameras on the freeway and just mail the fine to ya. In Italy the drivers like to say that the posted speed limits are “just a suggestion.” 🤣
I guess what I find interesting about this discussion is how quickly it got off the rails and suddenly a Motorhome driver who not only made a decision to pass another Motorhome on the right while speeding, also followed other traffic too closely for the speed he was traveling, made numerous other unnecessary lane changes to the left and right to travel 15 -20 miles and be no further down the road then the people he was trying so hard to overtake. All that unsafe driving and there are those that will justify and excuse such driving. WTF? Maybe I called out somebodies friend but, Excuse me, I’ll be damned if I’m going to warm up to the theory that I should excuse and defer to an aggressive driver like this. It’s clear to me that there is no sense discussing this in a forum like this. If you’re from So. Cali. then you know the freeways here aren’t your basic 2 lane interstate with a 70 mph limit and offramps/onramps every few miles. Oh how I long for the simplicity of driving on two lane highways.
Tfryman asks... “If the right lane was open why were you hanging out in the middle lane? Keep right except to pass.”
My answer to that is... I was definitely not hanging out in the middle lane and on a three lane highway like the one we were driving on there is no need to move over to the right lane if you are traveling at or above the speed limit like I was. A few miles up that right lane merges into that middle lane when the highway goes back to two lanes. The dude in the other Motorhome was driving like he felt entitled to every lane. He certainly had no aversion to using every available lane to get where he was going. Oh, I’m sorry, that’s right! The rest of us should just get the “F” out of the way!
I don't think anybody "justified and excused" the bad driving of the other MH. There were some (like me) that felt that if you were in the right lane than the other guy would not have passed you on the right and this thread may never have been born. I asked why you were hanging out in the middle lane when the right lane was open and you explained why (because the right lane was going away shortly) which is fine. But some people hang out in the middle lane or the left lane for no reason at all other than they are oblivious to the traffic around them. I see "professional" truck drivers do this all the time at 65 mph in a posted 70 mph interstate, Then when the truck driver that wants to go close to 70 catches up to the slower truck he can't pass him in the left lane because he is prohibited from using that lane on a 3 lane interstate; so he has to pass him on the right.

In my MH I am always in the right lane doing 63 mph unless I need to pass that rare person going slower.
In my 4 wheeler I am always in the right lane doing 75 - 80 mph and frequently moving one or 2 lanes to the left to pass as required, but if someone is going slower in the middle lane i pass them on their right instead of swinging over 2 lanes to pass them. After all, if they are not passing someone; shouldn't they have been in the right lane?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum