Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Gps?
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #48
pavemike

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #12686
Gritz and Bob make 2 great points of equal importance that I wish I had heeded this week. "Any GPS is better than no GPS" & "we still need to use our brains". I was taking my Vegas to a service center on Wednesday to have my Hellwig Sway Bars installed. I had never been to this center before (highly recommended from several people) so I loaded the address in my RV GPS. Near the service center, the GPS told me to make a U-turn and arrive at my destination. As I started the U-turn, I noticed that new construction had just been completed across the lane and it was no longer possible to make that turn. So...I used my brain and went across the lane onto the adjacent road thinking I would find a place to turn around. Oh, I forgot to mention, I had my Jeep Wrangler in tow as well. As I drove down what turned out to be a dead end road, only found one possible place to turn around at the entrance to a trucking company parking lot. It was a narrow entrance/exit but I saw a sandy area by the entrance that other trucks use as an expanded turn lane. As I said, sandy...very sandy. I figured that if 18 wheelers could make that turn, so could I. NOT using my brain, I attempted to make the turn. Two hours later, after breaking several straps belonging to a very nice truck driver and then some very heavy chains and a boom extension fork lift, I was finally back on the road to travel the 500 feet to the service center. Yes, the Vegas and Jeep bogged down in the sand all the way to the body. The tires and exhaust were buried. I found out later that they pull large RVs out of this sand almost daily. Guess I'm not the only one that forgets to use the brain in conjunction with the GPS. Lesson learned and I admit, it is kinda funny
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum