Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #12
javelin

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Converting to Digital Thermostat

Hi Ozzie322,

After checking a Coleman Digital Thermostat on line (may not be your model) they show the thermo terminal wiring assignments as follows (pretty standard color assignments): This jives with my original posted drawing too if you refer to my original thermo (analog side of drawing). On my digital thermo (not a Colemann) I used the same colors to splice into wall cable wires to make things simple for me if future disconnection and reconnection was required:

Gray - Low Fan
Green - High Fan
Yellow - Compressor
Red - +12 VDC
Blue - -12 VDC
White – Furnace

You said originally you had a 5 wire cable and a 3 wire cable coming out of the coach wall, so I am “guessing” the following connections (NOTE: Disclaimer - guessing means just that, so it is important to use a voltmeter and determine your own +12v and ground wires and refer to installation requirements of your Colemann thermostat so no damage is done. etc)

5 wire cable: likely the air conditioning connections (these were mine)
Red - connects to the yellow (Y terminal) for the comprssor
Yellow – connects to the grey (GL terminal) for the low fan
Green – connects to the green (GH terminal) for high fan
Blue – connects to the blue (B terminal) typically ground. (Note on my digital thermo B was not required)
White - not connected

3 wire cable: likely +12V, ground and furnace wires
Red – probably +12V (verify this) so connects to Red (RH and RC on thermo)
White with Red trace – probably the furnace connection so connects to white (W) on thermo
White – probably ground (verify this). In my case it connected to the Blue wire in the five wire cable to the air conditioner only (as I did not need a ground connection to B terminal on my digital thermo which has its own AA batteries for operation). Since your Colemann digital thermo has a blue wire from the B terminal maybe it requires a ground connection as well? If so then blue to blue to white (gnd).

I hope this works for you. This is my guesstimate on your connections as the wiring colors may be totally different from my Thor ACE 30.1 situation. By the way the +12v should be fused in some way (it may be built into the thermostat or in my case I had to add an in line fuse in the wall).

By the way I have had very few problems with my 2013 ACE 30.1 but it only has 5000 miles on it. Kitchen sink leaked day one (fixed by dealer before I received it); water pump back flow valve started leaking just after a year - I replaced the pump myself. Thats it (knock on wood). I also make sure not to load up the storage locations on any slideouts.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum