Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 09:33 PM   #11
10scDust

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
I'd like to see some pictures of the rest of the hitch but d@mn that sure doesn't look like a hitch built to take 8k lbs!

Here's a question for ALL of you towing something behind your RV... When was the last time you even LOOKED at your hitch much less put a breaker bar on something as basic but vital as the ball of your hitch? Yeah, that's what I thought.
That is scary to think we have the same year and model Thor.
But your question, maybe not for most folks, but I took ours completely off.
No signs of cracking on it or the frame.

I had the hitch off, because I installed a spare tire carrier, in the void area behind the rear axle.
I made it fit in the frame so it could rotate down to the ground for the spare's accessibility.
I took a 6" long piece of 1" square bar, drilled and tapped three 5/8" holes, and made the tire carrier line up and bolt to it, after the tapped holes piece was welded to the hitch while on the bench.
I used six new socket head 1/2" bolts to replace the hitch onto the frame, which are rated higher than a grade 8.

I believe ours is stronger now since what I have done to it!
It looked strong to begin with.

But, I guess I am somewhat like you, I kind of comb through it all making changes where I think changes for better should be, although I think you go further than I do, or know how to.

p.s. I just received my 5 Star tune kit yesterday, still reading the instructions, I want to be sure I am doing it correctly.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum