Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 12:57 AM   #13
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I think the OP has a good question: I think there are two sides to this...

- we might immediately assume that having a non-viewable action take place, such as the 'dumping' of the tanks, is a little irresponsible at first glance.... but, I agree with the OP that the desire to dump the tanks without 'having' to go outside to them is a very reasonable request. True, in good weather, it's no issue and most folks would not do anything differently than what they are accustomed to, but in less-than-desirable weather, or conditions, it might well serve to have the ability to take care of this rather 'simple' task with a simple switch, especially if you are staying somewhere for many days, and this needs to be taken care of at night, during a heavy rainstorm, when a muddy and wet mess could entail.

- we might also 'assume' that this person is just crazy, HOW in the world would you every rely on a electric mechanical device, operating out of view, to 'handle' your dumping properly? Well, let's think about the realities of the situation before we pass judgement:
A) you've already arrived and set up, hooking up your sewer hose, and making an 'initial' dump, which tells you that everything is 'hooked up' correctly.
B) when you are inside, and the tank(s) need dumping, you have no reason to assume that anything has 'changed' outside.... it's possible, but not probable, a big difference.
C) many higher-end large motorcoaches have employed these electric dump valves for years, and quite successfully. If the sewer hose is already initially installed to the sewer dump inlet, and to the other end to the coach's sewer outlet, then what's to 'fear'?

I can see the value of having this option, as it certainly serves a purpose. When you've done your 'due diligence' and have hooked up your system successfully to start with, you'll have little concern when you hit the 'dump' switch.

I say go for it. But, just make a note above the switch that warns: "Please make sure you have attached BOTH ends of your sewer hose before proceeding!"
or,
design the interior switch to be 'disabled' until a sewer hose is actually confirmed to be attached to the sewer outlet.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum