Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #1
The_Breeze

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Chemistry 101? Orange Tipped Propane Flame

I was once told that orange in the flame of your propane appliances is a bad thing (CO2 emissions). It only takes a quick Google search to verify.

The supposed cause is excess O2 in the mix due to too much gas pressure. The O2 is introduced because the high pressure does not allow the propane to completely burn off.

The supposed fix is to adjust the regulator down (reduce pressure) until it disappears. This is not working for me. The recommended pressure is 11" of wc. I don't have a manometer.

If we agree orange is a bad thing, two things:
1) Does anyone out there have another technique for correcting this?
2) There's a supposed sight glass on the furnace where the flame can be observed. Where can I find this so I can observe the flame there?

I know some will attest to hire a professional and I won't argue with that. I just wanted to test the knowledge base out here first. I once troubleshot my furnace down to the control board. Instead I paid a RV Tech to diagnose and fix the problem. Not only did the board cost more but he charged me $150 for his time. The job took 20m end-to-end - I already had the cover off and mounting screw removed. He buttoned it all back up.

Thanks for any insight you offer.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum