Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2019, 04:20 PM   #4
Calman

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Speaking of security, here’s a true story about a trailer security.

Several years ago enroute to MotorTrike in Troup TX I stopped to pick up a 6X10 trailer from my BIL. (I was going down to pick up my new Honda Shadow trike at the factory.) Heck of a deal – invoice cost.

As we were hooking up the trailer my BIL related a conversation he had with my baby sister the previous day. It went like this:

SIS: What if he has a flat tire?
BIL: Okay, I’ll give him a new spare.
SIS: Won’t that tire get in the way of the trike he’s buying?
BIL: Okay, I’ll wield him a spare mount.
SIS: Shouldn’t there be a lock to keep someone from stealing the spare?
BIL: I’ll wield a bail and hasp on it and before you ask I’ll give him a heavy duty lock!

While BIL and I were finishing hooking up the trailer, guess who shows up with a question. Yep, my sister.

SIS: Someone could steal the trailer and trike. Shouldn’t he have a lock on the tongue?
BIL: Yes, I’ll give him a damn tongue lock! (BIL was starting to get irate. I would too since he was now out of his normal profit - $350.00 – from sale of the trailer plus another $200.00 for tire, mount, locks, and labor.)

I get the motorcycle and the next day I stopped at a BBQ joint on TX/LA border. Coming out I was admiring my new trike. Then I noticed the tongue lock wasn’t going to prevent any possible theft. And, I just started laughing. The hitch ball was not locked to the receiver.

I stopped to see BIL and sister on the way back to NC as they wanted to see my new trike and give me a "Katrina Damage Tour" of Gulf Coast MS. I pulled BIL to the side, out of ear range of my sister, and told him about the hitch. Told BIL I stopped on the road and picked up a lock for the hitch.

BIL laughed and laughed. Sister wanted to know what was so funny. BIL just waved her off. 10 years later BIL and I still get a chuckle out of sister’s security concern.

I do lock all trailers to the hitch and the hitch to the receiver. Ditto for a bike carrier on the GIF’s car.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum