Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum View Post
I have a question that I'm sure most of you can answer. I have a 2019 Chateau 22B that I am going to put in storage, there are spaces with and without electricity. My question #1 is how long can I allow it to sit without power being hooked up before my batteries go dead and should the coach power switch be on or of when not hooked up?. Question #2 if I have power should I keep the power switch inside the coach on or off? Thanks for your help.
Of course the answer to some is 'it depends'...

The easy answers:
If connected to electricity - use/store should be in 'use' to keep the batteries in the circuit and charged.
If not connected to electricity (shore or genny) - use/store should be in 'store' to disconnect the batteries.

Now the 'it depends' parts:

If you have a complete disconnect (with use/store switch or independent kill switch) - then leave disconnected and a fully charged battery should last quite a while with no need for electricity - even in winter conditions... Many find that even with use/store in store that there is still a draw on the batteries though - so need to know your rig - or add your own 'hard' disconnect.

How much do you trust your converter to properly float the batteries - and not 'cook' them from overcharging?
I've stayed in my rig up to 5 months - connected the whole time... so reasonably comfortable with mine - but others have found the converter doesn't drop to float charge.

There is a convenience to having the electricity available - but I'm sure also a cost to you... People manage either way...

My previous rig spent winter storage in Michigan without electricity. It had a complete disconnect on both coach and chassis - and could easily go 1-2 months without incident... I typically stopped by to exercise the genny in that timeframe - which did top off the batteries (switches in 'use' while running genny)...

My current rig spends its 'down time' next to my garage with ability to hook up... It has no chassis disconnect, but the coach does appear to be complete. I still tend to leave it disconnected most times as I still need to exercise the genny periodically - and it tops them off.

If you can't have your rig at your house before/after a trip - I would find electricity in storage more important to get things ready for a trip - or back into storage...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum