Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #14
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
I would be concerned that there may not be enough weight on the front axle after loading up the coach with tons of stuff, which can also cause steering and handling problems. Also, a huge rear overhang means you have to be careful at the gas pump or other locations where you must make a turn.
I agree. Plus there is the issue of center of pressure that hardly no one talks about.

When I look at the picture of the 30Q above, I see that a gust of wind from the side will act on motorhome very close to rear wheels, and shouldn't affect front wheels proportionally. That concerns me more than weight because it can't be varied by how we load the RV.

Most motorhomes carry roughly 1/3 of weight up front and 2/3 on rear in order to match axle and tire load ratings, but if a crosswind gust hits it at the center of pressure which is far behind the center of gravity, then the motorhome may react much different than driver expects.

I'm not sure, but expect that the center of pressure from side wind forces should be close to center of gravity, and that's probably hard to build into motorhomes on present front-engine truck chassis. Just a guess on my part though.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum