Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
Beacher

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauthig View Post
.......But seems like both of these speak to very poor quality control.
Actually, that's more indicative of very poor engineering and design.

If the assembly procedures for the lift system had been properly engineered, there would have been fail-safe measures, (Poke Yoke, different size connectors for example), to absolutely prevent the possibility of connecting the wrong size hose to the pump.

The decal, paint, and door frame materials should have been analyzed under normal operating conditions, (sunlight everywhere in the U.S.A.), by the engineering and design team.

The Assembly department is "empowered" to check that they are installing the lift pumps properly. The next operation in assembly is "empowered" to make sure that the hoses were installed properly. In particular, the guy who connected the lift control switch in the cockpit area should have insured that it worked!

The Quality Department inspectors are only there to insure that the lift system is there and that the artwork labels have been applied.

That's how it should work.

Now for the reality.

RV Manufacturer's generally do not have accredited college degreed engineering staff employed full time, and do not have an actual Engineering Department per se. They generally have employees who have moved up the ranks in the industry that have been trained to use Pro-E or AutoCAD software that make updates to existing floorplan designs. These people are not paid enough to own their own motorhomes and experience what they design. They may be granted temporary access to a company owned RV for visiting an RVShow, (while also representing the company), or win an opportunity to use a coach for a short vacation with their family.

RV Manufacturer's generally do not maintain any sort of full time Quality Assurance/Control Department or accredited college degreed Quality Engineers. Any quality assurance or control is conducted by lead men/women, supervisors, and the assemblers themselves as part of their normal job. None of these people earn enough to own their own motorhome. And, they are also generally NOT eligible to participate in representing the company at RV shows, or to win the use of an RV for a family vacation trip.

I can say all this because I am an Industrial and Mechanical Engineer by degree, a P.E.. I'm a certified Lean Sigma Master Black Belt, (Quality). I'm currently an aerospace industry executive and board member for several companies. In late 1990's through the early 2000's I was courted several times by the largest RV manufacturing companies to come work for them or join their boards. So, I became intimately involved with the RV industry.

And, that's why I stuck with aerospace.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum