Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 07:24 PM   #7
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusdecimus View Post
So they are asking in the mid $50k range for a used 2015 with 17k miles. Someone traded it in, we haven't seen it in person by I had my brother who lives there go check it out and he said it looks good. I was looking online and saw.brand new axis going for around $80k, so I was thinking about negotiating down to $50k or so.

Thanks for clarifying. We are going to test drive the same model this weekend so hopefully it will answer the questions about the ride handling. I am wondering what upgrades did people do to theirs to improve the wind/handling?
For reference, I bought a new 2016 Axis at the Tampa RV show in February for $69.9K and they gave me almost $52K for my 2014 Vegas with 25k miles on it. Most of the used 2014 and 2015 Axis/Vegas on the internet were asking $59.9K at that time. With 17K miles on the model you are looking at, you should not have many scheduled maintenance issues. However, whether it it's worth it or not depends a lot on what, if any, improvements the original ower made and how they treated it and maintained it. If you can get it for $50K you are saving about $20K on a new 2017 unit.

As to the question of buying a used rather than new because someone has already worked out the bugs? That works if the original owner knew what he was doing and spent the time and/or money to fix anything that was wrong and made improvements that are worthwhile to you. I have had it work both ways. I spent more time removing and fixing things that one owner installed and in another case, I found that the previous owner was more anal than I.

As far as the 2015 vs. 2016/17 models, I have a 24.1 and the things that sweetened the deal for me with the 2016, were the new transmission (significant improvement) and the new pocket doors in the bathroom, along with the new light wood inside.

Good luck!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum