Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
RVs in Combination

On a road trip my wife and I were discussing pros and cons of motorhomes (A or C) pulling a toad, versus a pickup truck (or large SUV) pulling a trailer (bumper pull or 5th wheel). We didn't want to get too equipment specific, preferring to keep comparisons conceptual.

In both of these cases, a major disadvantage is that once base camp is set up, and one drives around in either the toad or pickup/SUV, we would lose all comforts of home. Granted a toad or pickup/SUV has advantage that it can be used as a regular vehicle while at home, but for many that are retired or have multiple vehicles that may not be all that important.

In that light, what would be some of the disadvantages of a compact toterhome specifically designed to pull a mid-size bumper-pull trailer, yet small enough to maneuver like a large van or dually pickup?

I was thinking in terms of a short yet powerful motorhome (20- to 22-foot-long toterhome) towing up to a +/- 30~35 foot travel trailer when space is needed. For short weekend trips, etc. the trailer could stay home. While camping at Yellowstone, as an example, one could drive around in the van-length motorhome leaving the trailer hooked up at site. Or if camping outside a city, one could tour city with conveniences of home (food, fridge, toilet, etc.).

I'm curious why we don't see more RVs in combination (i.e. -- RV pulling another RV). Any thoughts?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum