Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
karwask

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Oregon
THOR #4548
Newbie Thinking of Purchasing Axis/Vegas or Smaller Diesel Rig

Hi All,

I'm just so thrilled to have found you. I'm often long-winded and complex so....please forgive me for that, in advance.

I'm a single woman, almost old enough to retire (maybe 2 years away). Have been dreaming of camping in or living full time in an RV for years but have never done anything like that. Finally put my dreams to the test and rented a 27' Itasca Spirit C class and had it out in state park no hookups, for four days so now have a point of reference and I know enough to want to proceed with following my dream.

Why wait until I'm retired to get started, I've been thinking? If I get "it" sooner, easier to finance while working, more opportunities sooner for fun and adventure and will be an easier transition to retirement when the moment is right?

I'm in OR and much of my family is in CA. The thinking is to be doing a lot of traveling up and down the I5 corridor to be able to visit for extended periods of time. I'm a rower (sculler) so would want to be here in the good weather (around April to Oct/Nov): my club and my boat are here, then then travel south in the rainy period, taking my kayak on top of my car (2006 Subaru Outback) in tow, hopefully. Also plan to do exploratory, fun traveling besides that, of course.

One thing I didn't like was how badly the C class handled in any sort of wind. Drives like the big box that it is. I wondered if the newer A class Axis/Vegas types would be an improvement. After reading a good deal here, seems as if having stabilizing things on there would help and most of you seem to say it's OK. I'm generally not planning to travel great distances in one shot, more looking to stay put for periods of time, so handling may not be such a big barrier?

I like the idea of a smaller rig that uses diesel to save on fuel, ease of driving, maneuverability, increases chances I can just keep it in my driveway. But, I'm also hoping to spend extended periods of time in my rig, let's say up to a week at a time, so having a more roomy format would be helpful. In addition, I also would like to have the options of taking guests on trips and it would be way more comfortable in something bigger so we are not on top of each other.

So, just relishing the endless help, resources, support to be found here. I love the process of learning and exploring and, hopefully, ultimately, aiming all of that homework in the right direction to get the thing that will work best for me. With motor-homes being such a depreciating asset, when I "pull the trigger" I really would like it to be right the first time around.

thanks for your attention,

- karen

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum