Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
My RV is a 2011. While my coach is a 28Z, it is actually 29ft-11in, so it is a couple ft shorter than a 31P.

We bought it in the fall of 2013 with 5,600 miles on it, so we have had one full season of use. We put over 3,000 miles on it last year with about 60 nights of camping. Overall, it has held up OK.

I would not be too concerned about the low miles... it is very typical of RVs. You don't want one with a lot of miles (say a 2011 with around 30,000~40,000mi), as that may be indicative of a rental unit.

One of the first things you will want to check is to see is if you have any water intrusion in the tail lights. Several of us have had leaks in those tail lights.

Another thing to check is the condition of the batteries. Thor puts in el-cheapo batteries for the coach, and they will probably need replacing. On my coach, the batteries have surprisingly lasted since the coach was new, but I will probably end up replacing them this year.

Finally, check your tires. They are probably Michelins. When we bought our coach, one issue was the tires were dry rotting. Fortunately though, the tires were under recall and I was able to get them replaced by Michelin at no charge (7 tires - if you have a spare).

Here is the recall notice for the Michelins, including how to identify whether or not they are part of the recall:

Safety Recalls for Michelin LTX M/S light truck tires | Michelin US

The tires under the recall were manufactured between the 2nd week of 2010 and the 25th week of 2012. But they are one specific model only:

LTX M/S LT 225/75R16 115/112 LRE

So if you have these tires, get them replaced by Michilen.

If they are not part of the recall, then you will probably need to plan on replacing them anyway within a year or two. Thing is, tires only last about 5 years before they dry-rot and become dangerous, and for RVs, this means the tires will most certainly go bad long before the tread wears out.

Otherwise, I can't think of anything else right off that you should check.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum