Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
Mauserdude67

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6698
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutchis View Post
Since I live in NE Oregon, I am very familiar with this part of the NW. Southern Idaho is a hot, boring drive along I-84. Here is one route that will keep you further north while heading east towards Utah and more in the mountains.

From Baker City, Hwy 86 to Halfway, Oxbow, Then 71 to Cambridge, ID, 95 North to New Meadows, 55 to McCall and Donelly to north of Banks, 17 to Garden Valley, Lowman. 21 to Stanley, ID. 75 south through Sun Valley to 26 and east past Craters of the Moon to Blackfoot. I-15 south to Utah.

The last part is into the hot dry part of southern Idaho, but to get into Utah, its unavoidable. A lot of this route is pretty mountainous and windy.

Be aware of the eclipse on 8/21, the roads and camping are predicted to be a real mess.
Wow! What a drive. I just traced that out on Google Maps and I think I'll need some Dramamine just to handle all of the curves! Thank you for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb
Utah has so much to offer...your best guide would be go google Utah attractions and plan your trip accordingly. You cannot make a mistake on any of the magnificent scenery !
If you are coming down to NM via 4 Corner area...there is Mesa Verde in SW Colorado...(much more if you are taking a different route) .. in northern NM there is Santa Fe, Taos, Eagles Nest, Red River etc.
If passing thru Tucumcari, take in the old portion of US 66 .. it is arguably the best portion of 66 left.
I haven't ever been to the Four Corners area, but I've always wanted to see Mesa Verde, Chaco Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, etc. As for Northern New Mexico, that is basically the playground for our region. I've been all over the Enchanted Circle since I can even remember. It is a beautiful area only about 5 hours from home and is truly one of my favorite places on Earth. We took the Axis on its maiden voyage up to Red River just last June and thoroughly enjoyed it. We go to Taos whenever we are in the area. My wife is enjoying a little personal time in Santa Fe right now. Thank you for the suggestions.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum