Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 01:24 AM   #1
Missile3b

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 32N
State: Missouri
THOR #5930
2016 Windsport - Generator & Electrical Problems

We have a 2016 Thor Windsport 32N. Purchased brand new in November. Used 6 times for relatively short trips. Currently 3,000 miles on unit.

Past 3 trips we have experienced generator problems. Onan RV 5500.

Problems include generator shutting off and giving fault code 36 and fault code 14. Unexpected shut down and over frequency fault. Trip to the lake resulted in the generator
Shutting down all weekend when trying to run both AC units. Called the dealer upon returning home and told to call Cummins. Called Cummins of Kansas City and was told 5500 is not near large enough to run two 13,500 AC units.

This past weekend generator continued to malfunction and with temperatures near 100 degrees, with only running one AC, the coach was as hot inside as it was out. Literally over 90 degrees inside the unit with one AC on full blast. Even with one AC on, turn on the microwave and we would lose ALL power in the coach! With 4 kids, this is not what we expected from a new RV. By the end of the weekend trip, the generator wouldn't even stay running and would shut down giving the fault 36 code. I am both furious and disappointed that a coach would be sold with two AC units and a generator not big enough to run them. Before I call Thor directly, I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and what is the solution.

Thank you.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum