Old 08-22-2017, 06:17 PM   #8
Budman

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
Planning our first long trip in our Challenger. 1553 miles over 5 states in 2 weeks. The route from Helen, Ga to Pigeon Forge on US-23/US-441 looks harrowing to a flatlander from Florida!

Has anyone done it? I understand there are tunnels. How do I find out the height limits? The stretch from Cherokee to Gatlinburg I gather is the hardest part. Is there a better route? Any insight is appreciated.
I cannot answer about leaving Helen but I have traveled over the mountain from Cherokee to Gatlinburg multiple times. I have crossed it in a 36 footer w an enclosed 6x12 many times. It is steep and crowed but is manageable for a KY/WV guy. If ur afraid or have concerns I'd go around.You'll be slow going up and probably want to take a pull off every now and then to let traffic around.
Going down the other side needs to be just as slow or slower. Use lower gears consistently. Once u start too fast it is usually too late!!! Don't want to scare u but be very cautious.
Once in Gatlinburg I always use left lane as the street posts are very close to the road. Just look at all the mirrors marks from either trucks or shuttles!!!
I usually go early in the morning to avoid the crowds on the mountain. Thx, Dennis.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.