Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2022, 01:24 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
That looks nice, some lithium batteries say to bring them in in the winter, but these look good to 4 below 0 for 3 months, and at 195 pounds I would need both arms to carry them the basement if needed, lol

Old 06-16-2022, 01:33 AM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Bill, Volta specs show “nominal voltage” at 51.5 Volts.

The useable capacity at 90% Depth of Discharge is 12,132 Wh.

Note Volta uses a different battery chemistry than typical RV batteries.

The higher voltage (51.5 versus 12.8) is strictly a way to reduce maximum required current so electrical cables don’t end up too large. As the system is designed and built more powerful, current could easily exceed 500 Amps if at ~ 12 Volts.

The higher Volta battery and inverter voltage should reduce current to about a quarter of what it would be otherwise.

Battery specs below:

https://1rm4pw3qup7umqlqkbggk81c-wpe...et_11-1-19.pdf
I found this from a person that has it. but I estimate it to be between 20-30K to retrofit an RV

Pros:
Crap-ton of power on hand. You can run virtually anything off of it. My 48vdc 13.5K BTU AC unit runs directly off the battery pack and it appears I can get 10-12hrs of run-time out of it. The inverter let's me run the MW, induction cooktop, kettle and anything else plugged in simultaneously. The surge capability is in tens of minutes, not milliseconds.

The second alternator is wicked fast at charging the pack, roughly 1% per minute of driving. At 3700rpm it shows me pumping up to 10KW into the battery pack before it cuts off. At 1800rpm cruising on the highway it's pumping 3.5Kw into the battery pack.

Cons:
It's an energy pig. Sitting there with nothing running it consumes 26W. I assume that's due to the 48-12v converter that runs 24/7. There's also overhead from this down converter, but Volta doesn't publish what the penalty is. I've heard it could be 10-20%.

The inverter is a pig. Sitting at idle it pulls 100W. There's no super saver mode, just 100W all the time. So, turn it on, do what you need to do, turn it off. Everything in my rig is 12V except for the MW and induction cooktop so I primarily turn it on to cook dinner.

Volta is an extremely closed system and they give you no info on the components and their operating parameters. There are blinking lights on all the components, but Volta does not even publish what they mean. You get a battery on/off button and an inverter on/of button and that's it. There's an app for your phone, but I it only shows you the power going in/out. I suppose it'll show you an error??