Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2022, 02:32 AM   #1

State: California
THOR #17713
Fresh water holding tank

I have a 2013 thor Tuscany 3Q
41k miles I want to install a new fresh water tank. Can i get some insight as to labor involved. Or is it better to go to a dealer. (91 gal tank)

Old 04-26-2022, 10:38 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnj2 View Post
I have a 2013 thor Tuscany 3Q
41k miles I want to install a new fresh water tank. Can i get some insight as to labor involved. Or is it better to go to a dealer. (91 gal tank)
What is wrong with the current tank?

Easy job if it passes through the compartment door and you can handle basic plumbing
Old 04-27-2022, 10:16 PM   #3

THOR #17713
Nothing is wrong with as far as I can tell. I just thought it had be replaced periodically. It is about 11 yrs old[emoji41]
Thanks for the reply. I’m trying to learn a thing or two
Old 04-28-2022, 12:02 PM   #4

Model: Miramar
THOR #22927
If your tank doesn’t leak. You are still good. Clean 2-cups of bleach per 100 gallons.

Good luck
Old 04-28-2022, 12:36 PM   #5

THOR #9178
Sanitizing the tank is all you need to perform and typically once per year

Not required if you are using chlorinated water to fill the tank

Only use 1000 ppm active chlorine if you need to remove slime layers

Add .5 ounces of 3% household peroxide per 10 gallons water if you just need Sanitizing or feel you do
Old 04-28-2022, 12:52 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Nothing is wrong with as far as I can tell. I just thought it had be replaced periodically. It is about 11 yrs old[emoji41]
Thanks for the reply. I’m trying to learn a thing or two
Just curious - where did you get that idea?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 11:54 PM   #7

THOR #17713
So if I fill the holding tank from home I don’t need to to use bleach because the water from home is chlorinated?
Old 04-30-2022, 12:38 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
So if I fill the holding tank from home I don’t need to to use bleach because the water from home is chlorinated?
If it has sat empty for quite a while, I would strongly suggest sanitizing it with the diluted bleach OR a hydrogen peroxide solution. There isn't enough chlorine in tap water to sanitize the container the water is going into.

Chlorine in tap water from municipal water supplies is only meant to sanitize the water itself. It isn't strong enough to sanitize surfaces it comes in contact with later.
Old 04-30-2022, 12:10 PM   #9

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
If it has sat empty for quite a while, I would strongly suggest sanitizing it with the diluted bleach OR a hydrogen peroxide solution. There isn't enough chlorine in tap water to sanitize the container the water is going into.

Chlorine in tap water from municipal water supplies is only meant to sanitize the water itself. It isn't strong enough to sanitize surfaces it comes in contact with later.
Good advice

Sitting at home empty means different things

What was the water quality the tank last contained?

Was the tank completely empty or is there a heel of stagnant water?

Was the drain and fill valves closed leaving the vent as the only opening?

Is the vent screen in place and clear?

Any odor present at the manual tank fill port?

Does the tank appear to be clean with no level marks or streaks?

Under situations where there are more unknowns than knowns

Add bleach at about an ounce per gallon, non scented and 5.25%

Buy a cheap chlorine test kit

Test for a free or positive chlorine residual at the kitchen faucet after running water for a minute from all faucets

Be safe and sanitize or sterilize based on your specific situation

Two completely different procedures
Old 04-30-2022, 12:50 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I see no reason why everyone would not sanitize their fresh water tank every spring or at least once per year.

To be honest, I don't even measure the chlorine directly, I just remove the water filter and fill the empty blue water cartridge with bleach and fill my 70 gallon tanks to FULL, not 1/3 tank or similar but full. Run each faucet line one by one until I smell the chlorine. Let the who thing sit for a few hours or overnight. I then pump it into my black tank to help flush it where I drain to the sewer. When finished I add new water filter and refill fresh water tank to Full.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 05:13 PM   #11

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I see no reason why everyone would not sanitize their fresh water tank every spring or at least once per year.

To be honest, I don't even measure the chlorine directly, I just remove the water filter and fill the empty blue water cartridge with bleach and fill my 70 gallon tanks to FULL, not 1/3 tank or similar but full. Run each faucet line one by one until I smell the chlorine. Let the who thing sit for a few hours or overnight. I then pump it into my black tank to help flush it where I drain to the sewer. When finished I add new water filter and refill fresh water tank to Full.
Nothing wrong with simple

Water heater should be included if any organic Sulphur water has been used

If you have an Aquahot or a water heater with copper the high free chlorine will attack the copper

So keep that in mind

I have an Aquahot so no big doses of chlorine
Old 04-30-2022, 06:07 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Good point about the water heater... it should be in BYPASS mode. No need to pump chlorinated water into it. The water is heated sufficiently when you fire up the tank for use, which will kill any "residual cooties".

dk - Be careful with straight bleach in your filter housing... straight bleach will destroy rubber o-ring seals in short order if allowed to sit for any length of time.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:10 PM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Nothing wrong with simple

Water heater should be included if any organic Sulphur water has been used

If you have an Aquahot or a water heater with copper the high free chlorine will attack the copper

So keep that in mind

I have an Aquahot so no big doses of chlorine
When I sanitize my hot water heater is bypassed. 99% of all water that goes in fresh water tank is from home and is nice and clean ready to drink.

I guess point could be made that we take mixed un-sanitized / sanitized hot water shows though But that is per the manual.

Which this reminds, I made a mistake earlier this year. 1st newbie mistake I have made in quite a while; but my first trip after dewinterizing the RV, I forgot to re-open the hot water bypass; so we traveled 10 hours with the hot water heater on and no water in our 6 gallon hot water tank. We did not notice until the next day when we had no hot water for shower I kind of freaked out thinking an issue with gas or something, but I pulled out the old manual and saw where it will it shut it self down based on no water in the tank I simply had to go push the reset button outside, and in 5 minutes we were back in business with hot water.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 04-30-2022, 06:16 PM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Good point about the water heater... it should be in BYPASS mode. No need to pump chlorinated water into it. The water is heated sufficiently when you fire up the tank for use, which will kill any "residual cooties".

dk - Be careful with straight bleach in your filter housing... straight bleach will destroy rubber o-ring seals in short order if allowed to sit for any length of time.
What o' rings?... I hadn't seen any since I first sanitized
Old 04-30-2022, 11:29 PM   #15

THOR #9178
Should you sanitize with hard water don't be surprised if you form a small amount of calcium carbonate due to the high pH bleach
Old 05-01-2022, 01:58 AM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Should you sanitize with hard water don't be surprised if you form a small amount of calcium carbonate due to the high pH bleach

I sanitize with home water, we don't have any of that hard mineral water I see in some places. We get details specs for our water from the city. It is also why I fill my tank 100% FULL before leaving, I don't want to put water in my fresh water tank on the road; unless it is absolute necessity.

Chlorine is chlorine, use it all the time for my boats and I have never seen or heard or any case where Chlorine was problem? I do once a year. It is NOT because the tank has been empty all winter, because I use my RV year around. It is mainly for the annual super shock value very much akin to what I do to my pool every so often.

If that is not enough we are also talking about a tank that NEVER has or NEVER will have the PINK stuff in the line Just clean carbon filtered water with no smell or foul taste. But we have bottle water that we use to drink and make ice with anyway.