Originally Posted by BASSMAN
Tow/haul is a feature on Ford powered units, it keeps the transmission from shifting up into overdrive gears when you are towing and running up and down grades, when I tow/haul it also activates the engine brake when you apply the foot brake, to torque converter locks up and the fuel is shut off to the injectors, the more brake force you apply the more the engine brake will help to slow you down, read up on it in your owners manual
Thanks for the suggestion. Caused me to download the manual. I’ll experiment to understand in total what this really means, especially the last point of pressing the accelerator to slow down. It does not mean using the brakes to control speed on mountain passes!
It appears to differ from how it worked with my E450 Class C. I do stab the brakes to cause downshift.
I don’t think tow/haul works in 2.
My shifter doesn’t have all the gears shown in the manual I found.
“The tow/haul feature:
• Delays upshifts to reduce the frequency of transmission shifting.
• Provides engine braking in all forward gears, which will slow your vehicle and assist you in controlling your vehicle when descending a grade.
• Depending on driving conditions and load conditions, may downshift the transmission, slow your vehicle and control your vehicle speed when descending a hill, without pressing the accelerator pedal. The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based upon the amount the brake pedal is pressed.
The tow/haul feature improves transmission operation when towing a trailer or a heavy load. All transmission gear ranges are available when using tow/haul.
Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning
This feature may increase durability and provide consistent shift feel over the life of your vehicle. A new vehicle or transmission may have firm shifts, soft shifts or both. This operation is considered normal and will not affect function or durability of the transmission. Over time, the adaptive learning process will fully update transmission operation.
• Allowed in drive (D) with the tow/haul feature on or off.
• Press the accelerator pedal to the floor.
• Allows transmission to select an appropriate gear“