Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2020, 03:18 AM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenov View Post
ALWAYS put your jacks down first unless you want to rip over your rig!!! Jacks down with engine on and parking brake. Once jacks level turn off ignition and extend slide. If not plugged into shore power put battery in Use before extending.
Tip over the rig? I don't think so Tim (Home Improvement reference).

There is no slide made that will tip over an RV.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:51 AM   #22

State: California
THOR #16919
Level first then extend the slide(s). It doesn’t make sense to me why anyone would propose doing it any other way. You always want a level and stable position before adding side loads. You don’t see crane operators Extending their cranes or firefighters extending their aerial ladders prior to stabilizing. Once the stabilizing jacks are set they should be able to handle the added load from slide outs.
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:10 PM   #23

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeller View Post
Hi,

We have a 2015 Thor Windsport with one long slide out.

Do you used the auto level jacks first then, use do the slide out OR do you used the slide out first, then use the auto level jacks. I've heard BOTH ways; which is correct and why?

Thanks for any feedback!

Michael
Never let the banging levelers operate when the slide is out....it's jarring. Also, be sure.....be sure when operating your slide, hold the button for an extra couple of seconds for the motors to sync both extending and retracting....it will line everything up for the next time.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:38 AM   #24
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
If you are not level, your rig is potentially twisted. In fact most likely twisted. Not a good thing for your slide or the slide mechanisms. They may work, but over time they will fail with the stress and the frame may crack the skin. Keep it up and the welds on the metal studs may also fail. Always level first.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:44 AM   #25
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
If you are not level, your rig is potentially twisted. In fact most likely twisted. Not a good thing for your slide or the slide mechanisms. They may work, but over time they will fail with the stress and the frame may crack the skin. Keep it up and the welds on the metal studs may also fail. Always level first.
Being level on the jacks does not mean your frame is not twisted: in fact it is more likely to be twisted on the jacks than on the tires.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:44 PM   #26

Model: 34J
State: South Carolina
THOR #13131
I checked the level on my 2015 Hurricane 34J after I had extended the slide. I then retracted the slide and made adjustments to the auto level in manual mode. I extended the slide and checked level again. Repeating this process until the motor home was level with the slide out. I then reset the auto level to this. This way the motor home is always level with the slide out.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #27

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenov View Post
ALWAYS put your jacks down first unless you want to rip over your rig!!! Jacks down with engine on and parking brake. Once jacks level turn off ignition and extend slide. If not plugged into shore power put battery in Use before extending.
I have a question about the above statement in red. I wonder if operating 12-volt devices when plugged into shore power with the battery use switch in the "store" position can create a problem with the device and/or the converter? I assume that if the battery use switch is in the store position, power to run the 12-volt devices comes only from the converter, which isn't well filtered and depending on the devices operating could overload the converter.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #28
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I have a question about the above statement in red. I wonder if operating 12-volt devices when plugged into shore power with the battery use switch in the "store" position can create a problem with the device and/or the converter? I assume that if the battery use switch is in the store position, power to run the 12-volt devices comes only from the converter, which isn't well filtered and depending on the devices operating could overload the converter.
The RED statement is necessary to supply power to the slide system.. A full wall slide with the Schwintek system only pulls 10 DC amps when moving.

If the USE/STORE switch is in STORE so the DC buss is running off the converter, there is nothing on that DC buss that will overload the converter.
The hydraulic pump for the leveling system could overload the converter except it is wired directly to the battery through its own breaker - it does not go through the USE/STORE switch.

The biggest load on the converter is charging the house batteries.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #29

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
16ACE27
I was referring to the use of 12-volt devices (refrigerator, water pump, slide out, etc.)in general with the battery use switch in the store position when plugged into short power. When I was doing just that, I noticed that the lights would flicker when the water pump ran, so I knew that the converter was not supplying a constant voltage and that worried me.