Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2024, 03:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #31833
In dash radio power feed issue

Looking for a little assistance on the in dash radio power feed. I was attempting to install a new in dash radio in a 2018 Thor ACE 30.2 with the original axxera radio. After installing the new radio I was getting no power through the constant (yellow) wire to the new radio. The auxiliary power (red) has power. I hard wired through the factory harness to the new radio. I have checked all fuse panels that I can find, both Thor panel and chassis panel to the left side of the steering column and the fuse block on the exterior of the fire wall “under” the hood above the radiator. Wondering if I am missing an inline fuse or if anyone knows the exact fuse that the radio power is ran through. I have went through the fuse diagrams and fuse lists for both the chassis and Thor installed. Any help is appreciated

Old 02-15-2024, 03:53 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjones View Post
Looking for a little assistance on the in dash radio power feed. I was attempting to install a new in dash radio in a 2018 Thor ACE 30.2 with the original axxera radio. After installing the new radio I was getting no power through the constant (yellow) wire to the new radio. The auxiliary power (red) has power. I hard wired through the factory harness to the new radio. I have checked all fuse panels that I can find, both Thor panel and chassis panel to the left side of the steering column and the fuse block on the exterior of the fire wall “under” the hood above the radiator. Wondering if I am missing an inline fuse or if anyone knows the exact fuse that the radio power is ran through. I have went through the fuse diagrams and fuse lists for both the chassis and Thor installed. Any help is appreciated
The Yellow Wire is the "Ignition on Wire". It is intended to turn the radio off when you turn the Ignition off. On my coach and probably yours as well the yellow wire should be on. I was intermittently having the same problem as you. The radio would just cut off and then come back on at random intervals often when I hit a bump. I suspect a bad relay on the fuse panel located in the drivers footwell. Rather than try to find that I just connected the yellow wire to the red wire with a fused link. When I have time, I think I will add .a switch so I can just turn the radio off.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 04:28 PM   #3

THOR #31833
Thanks. Yea I wired it through the red to test the radio while installiing. My concern is that the radio would stay on even after the key was off and out of the ignition. The switch option crossed my mind. Thanks again
Old 02-15-2024, 06:14 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
FYI. The dash radio is wired to the house batteries. The objective here is to be able to enjoy the stereo without the potential of running down the chassis battery.
If your battery disconnect is in the off position no power to the radio
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 08:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
The Yellow Wire is the "Ignition on Wire". It is intended to turn the radio off when you turn the Ignition off. On my coach and probably yours as well the yellow wire should be on. I was intermittently having the same problem as you. The radio would just cut off and then come back on at random intervals often when I hit a bump. I suspect a bad relay on the fuse panel located in the drivers footwell. Rather than try to find that I just connected the yellow wire to the red wire with a fused link. When I have time, I think I will add .a switch so I can just turn the radio off.
No, the yellow wire is constant 12 VDC to maintain the radio pre-sets. In an RV it is wired to the chassis battery always on.
The red wire would go to an ignition switched 12 VDC source in a car, but in the RV it goes to the house battery buss.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 02:42 AM   #6

THOR #31833
Thanks for the info I will check out the feed to the house batteries. As I was working on the install I had the house batteries/disconnect in the on position. Do you know if the radio has an inline to the house batteries? And if I understand the “yellow” wire is still fed by the chassis battery.
Old 02-22-2024, 11:18 AM   #7

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
on my last coach, the yellow wire was connected to the use/store relay, on the chassis battery terminal via a inline fuse.