Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2023, 08:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.5
State: Ohio
THOR #30905
RV antifreeze install

I have a 2022 ACE 29.5 and according to the wintering process I need to suck the antifreeze into the city water inlet and turn on the pump. The only additional information is to make sure the fresh water tank drain is closed. I did all of that and it’s still not sucking the antifreeze out of the jugs. Anything suggestions would be appreciated first time winterizing. I did get all the lines blowed out and antifreeze in the traps.
Thx
Herb Horn

Old 11-15-2023, 09:19 PM   #2

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlag View Post
I have a 2022 ACE 29.5 and according to the wintering process I need to suck the antifreeze into the city water inlet and turn on the pump. The only additional information is to make sure the fresh water tank drain is closed. I did all of that and it’s still not sucking the antifreeze out of the jugs. Anything suggestions would be appreciated first time winterizing. I did get all the lines blowed out and antifreeze in the traps.
Thx
Herb Horn
After emptying fresh water, gray & black tanks, I blew out all lines thru city water inlet. (Amazon has a great quick release for compressor) Put RV antifreeze in all drains and called it a day! What's not there cannot freeze.
Old 11-15-2023, 09:23 PM   #3

THOR #30905
Thx SGilbert that’s what I have done so far I just thought getting some antifreeze in the actual waterlines would be good but may not be able to.
Yhx
Old 11-15-2023, 10:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlag View Post
Thx SGilbert that’s what I have done so far I just thought getting some antifreeze in the actual waterlines would be good but may not be able to.
Yhx
Water pump won’t suck antifreeze through unless it is in the fresh water tank or being siphoned through a winterization setup.

Get a hand pump and connect to the fresh water connection and have someone pump while someone opens faucets.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:13 PM   #5

THOR #30905
Thank you that makes sense I just don’t why they wouldn’t connect that fresh water pump to let you do that. I have a 2008 travel trailer and that all I need to do is turn on the pump but thanks for the info!
Old 11-15-2023, 10:40 PM   #6

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
I disconnect the suction line on the pump from the tank and put the pig tail in the jug. On past rigs i made a longer one to use the same way, makes it a lot simpler

Works great

some folks dump the antifreeze in the freshwater tank but then you have to get rid of it in the spring.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:46 PM   #7

THOR #30905
Another great idea I didn’t think about doing. I’m not dumping antifreeze in my fresh water tank even though I never plan on using it but if I needed to I wouldn’t want to worry about having that in it even cleaned out. Thanks for you insight
Old 11-15-2023, 11:01 PM   #8

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #30073
FWIW, I have a 12", or so, plugged water line near my pump & plumbing. It just sticks up lookin' mighty lonesome, I'm sure it is related to winterizing, but, as I only thoroughly blow out and treat drains, I am not too concerned about it.
Old 11-22-2023, 02:41 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGilbert View Post
FWIW, I have a 12", or so, plugged water line near my pump & plumbing. It just sticks up lookin' mighty lonesome, I'm sure it is related to winterizing, but, as I only thoroughly blow out and treat drains, I am not too concerned about it.
That's where you connect the line to you antifreeze jug.

The city water connection is plumbed to the DISCHARGE header of the pump.
Antifreeze needs to be connected to the SUCTION header of the pump.

No way you could suck antifreeze from the city water connection without a lot of valve manipulation engineered to make that happen.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 03:11 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. On these newer RV's isn't there an access port with a pipe plug on the inlet/suction side of the pump that's factory installed?
(in our older RV's we had to install the winterizing port on the inlet side of the pump ourselves as they didn't come equipped)
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 05:28 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. On these newer RV's isn't there an access port with a pipe plug on the inlet/suction side of the pump that's factory installed?
(in our older RV's we had to install the winterizing port on the inlet side of the pump ourselves as they didn't come equipped)
Note the fitting just above the fresh water tanks isolation 1/4 turn valve. That is where the suction hose for attaches for winterization. The lower valve is the water tank drain. Thor MC plant 750 does make it simple (some times).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021_0626_150144AA.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	44309  
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 08:35 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
See the 2 posts above yours.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote