Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2020, 07:46 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #19080
Buying From a Consignment Dealer

Hi everyone .... we're newbies and have found a Thor Axis thats a few years old with very little mileage and in very good condition. BUT, it's being sold by a Consignment Dealer. A very large one in Central Florida.

Can anyone offer any advice buying this way? I've done due dillegence on them and there are some complaints (mostly about selling boats) and I'm a pretty street smart buyer. Has anyone bought their RV this way and how was it?

We did try dealing with a local, large dealership here in Ohio which didn't turn out to be very sucessful which is how I came across the one I found.

Thanks!

Old 06-05-2020, 08:30 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum!
Is it possible for you to bring your own "hired gun" along to give it a thorough professional inspection?
Old 06-05-2020, 08:31 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
buying from a 'consignment' dealer is really buying from the original OWNER - but the dealer simply helps transact the deal. The difference, though, between a new/used Dealer and a Consignment sale is that the dealer is not part of the 'transaction' on a consignment deal, meaning that he has no risk in the transaction, no warranty for the new customer, does not have anything to do with what works, or doesn't, on the RV, and does not hold any title to the RV - he is simply 'transacting' the sale for the owner.

Many owners use Consignment dealers because the dealer already has a 'lot' of RVs, already know 'how' to sale an RV, and basically has a good place to 'park' the RV for sale. It also removes the owner from the day-to-day folks who want to 'see' and 'walk thru' the RV, but it also means that the dealer is not as likely to care as much about whether it sales or not, versus selling the customer one from their own stock.

Consignments are a 'go between' from trading in your RV to a dealer, and 'selling' it on your own. It 'may' work, or it may 'not', but generally the dealer will demand a certain time-frame minimum to sell it, with a fee, of course, but like real-estate, if the RV does not sell, you have no cost by letting them try.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:36 PM   #4

THOR #19080
Yes. I can hire my own or they will give me a list of locals. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2020, 08:37 PM   #5

THOR #19080
Good idea! Thanks,
Old 06-05-2020, 09:55 PM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by gptravel View Post
Yes. I can hire my own or they will give me a list of locals. Thanks!
I have tried to deal with a classic auto consignment dealer once. This particular dealer refused to let me take a car to my own mechanic that was very close. I could however go to a mechanic they said was okay. They also said that I could pay their mechanic to have my mechanic use his facility. You never know how the dealer will do this until you inquire. In my case, I took a pass on the car. I would never buy either a used car or a used RV without some kind of independent inspection.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:49 PM   #7

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
We bought our first RV from a consignment operator

It was 3 years old and looked to be well maintained. We had it inspected by a professional of our choice. Gave the consolidator a list of issues (all minor) and asked for them to make the repairs or give us a credit to make the repairs. Everything went smoothly and we ended up with an RV that we enjoyed for years before trading it in for it's bigger new sister. Just make sure to ask the questions you would for a house/car--has it been in an accident, flood, roof and window leaks, everything in working order, etc.--and have it professionally inspected (house, engine, chassis).
I'd buy from a reputable and knowledgeable consignment operator again.
Good Luck!
Old 06-05-2020, 11:47 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Arrr
Glad to see that your purchase worked out so well; let's hope that the O.P. has the same good luck!
Old 06-06-2020, 12:36 AM   #9

THOR #19080
I can use a list of their mechanics/inspectors or my own (no charges to use their facility). The salesman/rep did call me late this afternoon to say the RV had been broken into at the sellers dealer while being serviced (along with 5 or 6 other rv’s). They stole 2 TV’s and the radio but insurance was replacing them. I said as long as they are the same or better I was fine. And, I wanted to do a same day inspection and close since we’re flying 1,000 miles. He said that’s common and not a problem. He also asked the owner many questions I hadn’t thought of, yet, and sent me a report on that. So, seems to be working out.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:42 AM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Although we haven't purchased from a consignment dealer we used to belong to an FMCA chapter in which about 5 members all purchased diesel pushers from consignment dealers. A couple of them were on their second DP from the same consignment dealer. That dealer only deals with consignments, boats, RVs and planes.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:24 AM   #11

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by gptravel View Post
I can use a list of their mechanics/inspectors or my own (no charges to use their facility). The salesman/rep did call me late this afternoon to say the RV had been broken into at the sellers dealer while being serviced (along with 5 or 6 other rv’s). They stole 2 TV’s and the radio but insurance was replacing them. I said as long as they are the same or better I was fine. And, I wanted to do a same day inspection and close since we’re flying 1,000 miles. He said that’s common and not a problem. He also asked the owner many questions I hadn’t thought of, yet, and sent me a report on that. So, seems to be working out.
Let us know how it goes. Others might be helped if you close the loop on your experience - good, bad or indifferent.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:01 AM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
go,
Use your own fully independent pro for the appraisal.
I'm not saying that the Shop has an agreement in place with the ones that are on his list...

But it eliminates that possibility.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:08 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum

Be sure and let us on the forum know how your deal went on the consignment purchase. It might be of interest with someone else here in the future.

Paul
Old 06-13-2020, 10:27 PM   #14

State: Texas
THOR #16178
Yes I have

I have sold a travel trailer through a consignment dealer and purchased my new to me Thor Vegas from the same consignment dealer. Both transactions went extremely well and I had no issues with it Just Remember that they are only acting as an agent on behalf of the owner. Any problems discovered prior to delivery there were three options. 1. was they could call the owner and have them resolve the problem 2. you could resolve the problem at your own expense or 3. walk away from from the deal and get all your deposit money back.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:13 AM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Glad to know that you saw good results from BOTH sides of the fence!
Old 06-14-2020, 03:04 PM   #16

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! What's the latest on your search? Still focused on Florida? There are many used coaches available in this state. Suggest you try The Villages classified sites.

My experience with a consignment shop didn't go well. They left the front curtain and shade open and the sun fried the front seats, costing me big money to reupholster. They moved it to a lower traffic satellite location. I expected at least a low ball offer, but got not even that.

Since as a seller I had no contact with potential buyers, I didn't trust that they would be honest in telling me what price they actually sold it for. They could have sold high, told me low, and pocketed the difference. They might have offerred a low ball price to own it for inventory. Consignment dealers might be OK as a buyer, but as a seller I would be wary.

On that deal, I ended up trading it for a new coach and getting more out of it, besides the sales tax savings.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:40 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Virginia
THOR #15498
We bought our 2016 Hurricane from a broker just last year. knowing a little about RV's and some of the major functions. I went around and found a few issues, plus finding out it had been on the lot for a few months I was able to barter quite a bit off the asking price. When we left the lot we were 9,000 under the value of the rig. I put in 1500 in repairs and we're happy as can be. Barter with the broker, unless there are several people looking at the same rig, you'll get a fair price. And yes our broker has a bad reputation for boats as well as planes and rv's, Just check out everything from from to back inside and out, climb the ladder to the roof check it out, the ladder on ours was damaged, that was the most costly repair we had, which was a good chip to have for bargaining.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:12 AM   #18

Model: ACE 27.2
THOR #17484
I suspect that many MH sellers go to consignment to try to better the low trade-in value or cash purchase from dealers. We're tomorrow we trade in a 2019 ACE in order to get back into a travel trailer. It's come with a big hit but we've come to the realization we're better off pulling rather than peddling. Life goes on and you pay for your mistakes. We'll shake down the new Lance then off on another 7,000 mile journey around Labor Day. Drive safely and have fun.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:54 AM   #19

State: Colorado
THOR #19181
We ended up backing out of a consignment deal recently. It was kinda strange. The dealer *only* does consignment, large firm out of Texas. But the sales manager pretty much talked us out of the deal! Even though the owner agreed to pay for some extra inspection of the water pump and non-working generator, we'd still have a rear wall repair on our hands. So we ended up bailing on it and doubling the price range we were shopping for.

Another factor right *now* is the lockdown/reopening. This dealer had brought only *part* of their staff back to work, and with increased demand they were a week behind on their internal RV inspections. Took us 6-7 business days to find out about the needed repairs.

Tags
buying, consignment