Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2019, 10:23 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
The Camping World in Kissimmee FL has shown "Gander Outdoors" on their cash register receipts since at least January.
What does their big sign outside say?

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:32 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Sam Walton's business plan was to have a Walmart every 10 miles...they've nearly done that and every vendor in the world is knocking on their door for shelf space. Soon, the small local "family RV dealer" will be history.

I'm not sure about the 'every 10 miles' by Walton, as I believe that is actually from Cal Turner, of DOLLAR GENERAL fame... and look at what THEY'VE done in the past several years - you can find one of those sometimes in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE! and it's nice, as the old 'adage of 'Walmart is putting all others out of business' is not actually very true. Dollar General has had a bigger expansion than them, as well as several other 'family dollar' type small format easier-to-find and quick checkout stores.

Lowes and HD were predicted to do the same to 'all' hardware stores, but look at the number of BRAND NEW Ace and True Value stores popping up in neighborhoods and nearby, leveraging the 'big experience is too much walking' customer aggravations, to one where a 'quick purchase', with a helpful hand, is a nicer experience.

The american public waxes back and forth about 'how' they want, and like, to shop - depending on whether it's about cost, about the 'experience', or about just a quick purchase - and so the chains have responded - some will grow exponentially for a while, until the public waxes again, etc. The Walmart experience can many times be very taxing, but they have the selection, and sometimes are open 24/7. The smaller stores have a more limited inventory, but generally have what you 'need', and quickly, without near the walking exercise workout.

All in all, the 'cycle' of business continues, no matter what we sometimes 'feel'.... the public decides, on it's own, how and why they shop where they do. Few people lament Amazon, and yet it probably has done more 'negative' to small business than any other force, but they can't be 'seen', don't have a huge parking lot, and don't have to be a 'physical' presence next to the businesses they may be affecting. Out of sight, out of mind, just wait for UPS or FEDEX instead.

Note: Amazon just discontinued it's relationship with FEDEX, and will be focusing more on their OWN delivery system, trucks, third party deliverers, etc.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:27 PM   #23

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
FedEx held only 1 percent of Amazon's delveries so no love lost there, and it was Sam Walton that dreamed the every 10 mile thing. For the most part, and in most metro areas, they've done that. Lots of "dollar type stores" have opened in the voids between Walmart and trailer parks but the giant boxes continue taking over like cancer. RV dealers will follow as the mega-dealers continue to expand. Manufacturing will follow the asphalt and continue catering to them. Hopefully, a better commitment to customer service will become more of a priority.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:40 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The closest one to us, is 45 miles away.
How did we turn out to be the lucky ones?
Old 08-15-2019, 12:06 AM   #25

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
What does their big sign outside say?
The last time I went by there, it still said Camping World. I'll find out for sure Monday, when I reluctantly take the rig in for warranty work.

In June, I noticed that a former CW near Jacksonville had been changed to "Gander RV".
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:56 AM   #26

Model: Aria 3901
THOR #6952
The Camping World in St. Augustine Florida changed to Gander RV in February or March. I upgraded to an Aria in March and purchased it from Gander RV there. We have been extremely happy with the quality of the Aria and the service has been great. Of course there were a few items for service but so far very impressed with CW aka Gander RV.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
The last time I went by there, it still said Camping World. I'll find out for sure Monday, when I reluctantly take the rig in for warranty work.

In June, I noticed that a former CW near Jacksonville had been changed to "Gander RV".
Good luck with the warranty work!
Old 08-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #28

THOR #11130
Lemonis made his mark by revitalizing businesses based around what the customer wants paired with what it takes for repeat business. Obviously he saw CW as a primary candidate for this type makeover. I envision the change as becoming a great thing for owners and manufacturers.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree... right up to the point where "Build Quality" got stabbed in the heart.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #30

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
right, I agree with the comment about Lemonis and CW, but the 'build quality' comes from the manufacturers, not the dealers, no matter if CW is on the sign, or anyone else.

CW has, to a great degree, added a great deal to the capabilities that many of us have to travel the country and have a 'standard' that we know and can depend on. CW has one of the best 'retail' stores in the camping world(no pun intended).. and you know what you can expect when you arrive. While there are many, many RV dealers across the country, and many do very well and have great staff and even some retail stores that rival CW, you never really 'know' what to expect if you've never been to them before.
McDonalds changed fast food the same way - you know what to expect.

Some dealers want to be the 'best', some want to make the most 'money', some want to stay in business for many, many years, others want to have great employees, and others you can't really be very sure about, but CW has certainly made their 'stamp' in the business, whether you always appreciate it, or not. They are generally the largest dealer for any of the RV brands out there because of their shear number of locations, even though one locations may be able to sell XYZ brand, and the next one not, due to the other competitors in the area, and the local franchise areas that may be restricting them.

Now, does that me that 'I' will be buying an RV from them? Yes, No, or Maybe. I don't say one way or the other, because, honestly, the manufacturer is the one who built the unit, not the dealer. If the price is fair, then YES. If someone else has a better deal, all things equal, then NO. If they have a used unit in stock, and one that is exactly the floor plan I am looking for, and it's the only one available within a reasonable distance, then MAYBE.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It's true that they don't build it...
But they have also shown a reluctancy to fix things: until the customer shows back up with a "Punch-List"...
I was in a Brand new Outlaw 37 RB; that had part of the ceiling hanging loose in the garage!
How can you even show that to a customer?
(Forget about trying to sell it... )
Old 08-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #32
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
right, I agree with the comment about Lemonis and CW, but the 'build quality' comes from the manufacturers, not the dealers, no matter if CW is on the sign, or anyone else.

Well said. One point/argument I will make is that on models that are built exclusively for Camping World, the Freedon Elite comes to mind, Camping World, if the chose to, could influence the build quality of the manufacturer.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:41 PM   #33

THOR #11130
And, don't discount what role RVIA should play in this game. Right now, they are a joke somehow manufacturers feel just having that "not to resistant to fading" sticker by the door somehow adds clout. If RVIA would become to RV's what NMMA did to boat manufacturing, a major shift in build quality would take place. You never hear anything from them, about them or see any results of their so-called...efforts.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #34

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Well said. One point/argument I will make is that on models that are built exclusively for Camping World, the Freedon Elite comes to mind, Camping World, if the chose to, could influence the build quality of the manufacturer.
It appears to me that while the Freedom Elite models are exclusive to CW, they are essentially the same RVs that are marketed as Four Winds, and sold by Gander RV. The main difference being the name plate. From what I’ve seen, Floor plans are identical.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #35

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
And, don't discount what role RVIA should play in this game. Right now, they are a joke somehow manufacturers feel just having that "not to resistant to fading" sticker by the door somehow adds clout. If RVIA would become to RV's what NMMA did to boat manufacturing, a major shift in build quality would take place. You never hear anything from them, about them or see any results of their so-called...efforts.
RVIA actively works to routinely block/oppose any proposed legislation to improve state's lemon laws wrt RVs.

2018 Hurricane 31S (sold)
mpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
RVIA actively works to routinely block/oppose any proposed legislation to improve state's lemon laws wrt RVs.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1565891427
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Collage 2015-10-09 16_15_38.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	19652  
Old 08-15-2019, 07:32 PM   #37

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Just drove by the Gander RV in the Saint Louis area and it has closed. The Camping World is still open.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:13 PM   #38

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
A quick trip to the RVIA website shows they are an industry group, not a consumer group. What we RVers need is a consumers group. Someone that will speak for us. It won't be Good Sam as they are the operators of Camping World and are in the pockets of the industry side of the equation.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:02 AM   #39

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Camping World is changing its name to Gander RV. I just received a flyer in the mail for my local "Gander RV" in AR.

It had two coupons (one for $500 new RV -= no big deal, and the other for $15 off purchase of $75 or more = I can use that one).

I wonder if they will run CW any better? One can only hope.

Is the CW name so bad now they feel they have to change the name? Maybe.

I thought CW "purchased" Gander and Overton.... I find it strange they are changing the name to one of its subsidiary.
New Name same company ! Marcus is trying anything to stop the bleeding as Stock Prices continue to plummet ! Its said that Camping World won't make it till years end ! Allegedly their financial situation is 10 X worse than Toys R Us, and we know how that turned out !
Old 08-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #40

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Quote:

Kissimmee FL store is still "Camping World". The big signs and employee uniform shirts all say "Camping World".
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote