Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2017, 03:45 AM   #101

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
What did you weigh in at? My E-350 Vegas weighed 4000 front and 8500 rear which was max for both axels according to Ford. My E-450 Axis weighs the same but that is 2000 lbs under max in the rear. Looking at the Michelin tire chart, it says 65 psi at 8600 lbs for the duals - so you are probably alright at that. I feel more comfortable at 70+, but Michelin says you can ride at 65. In the front the chart says you can run 75 at about 5000 lbs and that seems about right. I do not see any reason to run at 80 lbs front which is the max for the tires. 75 gives you a little slack.
Let me find my invoice from the service center and I'll get back to you.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:51 PM   #102
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow Thor must have put in a lot more stuff in the 24.1's between '14 and '16! I'm a whole 1000 lbs lighter than you guys (4700 front, 6700 rear; 3 people, full water, full fuel, full propane, empty waste).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #103

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Wow Thor must have put in a lot more stuff in the 24.1's between '14 and '16! I'm a whole 1000 lbs lighter than you guys (4700 front, 6700 rear; 3 people, full water, full fuel, full propane, empty waste).
I went back and checked mine and it is 4950 front and 7500 rear. That makes more sense. I am close to the 5000 max in the front but. Couple of thousand lbs light in the rear. Makes more sense with the tire chart too. That is why you should run 75 psi in the front tires.
The 450 is a little heavier than the 350 and I had a lot of junk for a long trip when I weighed.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #104

State: New Hampshire
THOR #11837
2018 Vegas 24.1 Owner feedback

I am hoping to hear from anyone who purchased a 2018 Vegas 24.1 and how your ownership experience has been. Specifically, how a 2018 handles while driving as well as the overall performance of the many house features (convection oven, refrigeration, water heater, the slide, the rear and side cameras, plumbing, etc.). Many Thanks!
Old 06-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #105
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Base Camp Adventures View Post
I am hoping to hear from anyone who purchased a 2018 Vegas 24.1 and how your ownership experience has been. Specifically, how a 2018 handles while driving as well as the overall performance of the many house features (convection oven, refrigeration, water heater, the slide, the rear and side cameras, plumbing, etc.). Many Thanks!
The 2018 handles no differently than the 2017, or the 2016, or the 2015, or the 2014--well ok there are some differences in there as the E-350 got swapped out to the E-450 and back again. They are, essentially, the same chassis though so they drive the same. Like a large Econoline van (which it essentially is).

In all those years the slide has been identical in design--with slightly different couches (the early couches--like ours--were setup to use an air mattress...very uncomfortable).

Plumbing and electrical are all the same as well...aside from around 2016/2017 they switched the water heater to a tankless model.

Actually, if you really want the skinny on all things Axis/Vegas and be really prepared for your purchase (if you decide to do so) download and read Ed's excellent crowd sourced owner's manual for Axis/Vegas units found here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:07 PM   #106
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Base Camp Adventures View Post
We have a gently used 2016 24.1 on the E450 Chassis with the larger a/c unit, and many upgrades. We love this Axis, however, due to age related health issues, we are considering down sizing .. if you might be interested..Private Message us and we will furnish all info and photos if interested.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #107

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
We've just changed from a 14 Axis 24.1 to a 16 Vegas 25.2 and the difference is amazing. The Axis was all over the place and rattled, rocked and rolled down the road, the Vegas feels tight and drives straight and true, no rattles and groans either. Very happy with the change.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:16 PM   #108

State: Illinois
THOR #12068
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
We've just changed from a 14 Axis 24.1 to a 16 Vegas 25.2 and the difference is amazing. The Axis was all over the place and rattled, rocked and rolled down the road, the Vegas feels tight and drives straight and true, no rattles and groans either. Very happy with the change.
What do you attribute the difference to? The build quality of the Vegas and Axis is the same, is it not? Does the added length make a difference? Is it the 350 vs the 450? Better build quality over time?

We are still looking. Wife likes an older Coachhouse Class B, but for the same price, I feel we can get a Vegas/Axis and have a newer coach with more room. We want to stay under 26 feet, since we can keep that in our driveway and we feel that we could use it without a toad. We will likely be visiting theme parks when out and about. We also like the Winnebago View, but that is jumping us up another price point that we are not sure we are comfortable with. It will be the two of us, our 11 year old special needs/medically complex son and a dog traveling.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:19 PM   #109
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I've also noticed the "Dead-Zone", and have found your technique of "keeping a still set of hands on the wheel"; to be a remarkably good way to minimize it's impact on my driving.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #110

THOR #9936
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpboyce View Post
What do you attribute the difference to? The build quality of the Vegas and Axis is the same, is it not? Does the added length make a difference? Is it the 350 vs the 450? Better build quality over time?

We are still looking. Wife likes an older Coachhouse Class B, but for the same price, I feel we can get a Vegas/Axis and have a newer coach with more room. We want to stay under 26 feet, since we can keep that in our driveway and we feel that we could use it without a toad. We will likely be visiting theme parks when out and about. We also like the Winnebago View, but that is jumping us up another price point that we are not sure we are comfortable with. It will be the two of us, our 11 year old special needs/medically complex son and a dog traveling.
I'm not sure exactly why it's so different, perhaps the length or maybe the slide at the back improves weight distribution. Maybe its just that it's almost 2 year younger and Thor got better at building them, all I know is that it feels like a much higher quality unit. Just had 200w of solar panels and an inverter fitted today, my Vegas just got better
Old 06-22-2018, 11:59 PM   #111

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
I'll bet its the difference between the E350 and E450 chassis. IMO, there's a world of difference in the handling between the two, with the E450 being much better, mainly because the 450 is heavier duty, has a higher weight handling rating and is more substantial.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:02 AM   #112

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
My Vegas is a 2016 24.1 on e450. I run 75 to 76 PSI front and rear.

I have noticed as the crown on the tires has gone away, the center dead spot is less. We have put 14,000 miles, 50% towing and the rest without 5500 lb open racecar trailer. I did add a Reflex damper on the front, mainly to help return to center. Tire wear is even across tread, no cupping and no camber induced uneven wear.

It did take a few trips to be completely comfortable. Always watch mirrors for approaching semis and move to edge of opposite lane. Vegas is narrow enough to allow good gap without next lane incursion.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:16 AM   #113

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post
I'll bet its the difference between the E350 and E450 chassis. IMO, there's a world of difference in the handling between the two, with the E450 being much better, mainly because the 450 is heavier duty, has a higher weight handling rating and is more substantial.
I think the main reason between the two, is driveline and gearing. Frame wise, can't see much difference in the two, other than maybe heavier support for rear axle.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:42 AM   #114

State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
I'm not sure exactly why it's so different, perhaps the length or maybe the slide at the back improves weight distribution. Maybe its just that it's almost 2 year younger and Thor got better at building them, all I know is that it feels like a much higher quality unit. Just had 200w of solar panels and an inverter fitted today, my Vegas just got better
We are looking at solar for our VEGAS, just wondered what size inverter you went with and are you using the stock THOR supplied batteries?
Old 06-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #115

THOR #9936
Hi, it's a Mercury, 100w pure, sinewave. Plenty for the tv's, laptop and a small hairdryer.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #116
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpboyce View Post

We just returned from a 3 week trip in our Axis 24.1....We, like you, have always preferred to stay in the 25' length for ease in parking and maneuverability … We now have 18k miles on our BIG BOX ! Ron continues to think he might want to sell our Axis and change to the Sprinter or the like, chassis...but, we do love the Axis … I think our problem, as seniors is he gets tired of driving...we are rethinking our strategy...next trip plan to stay several nights in one location before moving on...often, we tend to stay one night and move on, when headed to destination location. Not good !
I can drive the Axis...however, I am the navigator...and cannot do both !
Enjoy your search !
K.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #117

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I put 36,000 miles in a 2014 Vegas and I have over 20,000 on my 2016 Axis. The Vegas was on a 350 and the Axis is on 450 chassis. The Axis also has the 6 Spd transmission while the Vegas had the 5 Spd. I did not modify either chassis in any way. I have found the Axis much easier to drive, especially over long distances. The 6 Spd transmission made a big difference and the extra 2000 lb carrying capacity of the 450 over the 350, also seems to make it easier to handle. I put a bunch of back to back 400+ mile days in driving from Florida to Alaska and back and Florida to Nova Scotia and I have no trouble doing that. We have loved our Vegas and Axis.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:38 AM   #118

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I still maintain they have to much unit on that light weight suspension.
If you want something that drives down the road the way it should, you are going have to get one with heavier suspension.
Other wise it's like trying to herd a bucket of jello down the road.
There just isn't a fix for it.
how could that be when they have almost 11,700lb payload and tow 10,000 lbs... the hitch is only 8k but you could up the hitch... the thing I see is they put too small of tires...the E450 chassis is just 1000 lb less than the f53 ford.. they are 23k and the vegas is 22k the Vegas 24.1 is just over 10k loaded mine only weighted 11,900 fully loaded ready to go on a trip
Old 07-18-2018, 03:44 AM   #119

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I still maintain they have to much unit on that light weight suspension.
If you want something that drives down the road the way it should, you are going have to get one with heavier suspension.
Other wise it's like trying to herd a bucket of jello down the road.
There just isn't a fix for it.
LOL.... didn't see that you post'd that 4 years ago till just now....so I stand corrected,... that was why I never bought one back then, the rear end was too narrow, the springs too soft the tires too small, no pay load or tow capacity , so I agree with your post
Old 07-18-2018, 03:48 AM   #120

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post
and it has a 4'' wider rearend, that, and a lower gear ratio