Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2023, 04:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #2474
Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
How to remove hubcaps

How do you remove the hub caps on a 2016 axis 24.1 they look like you just pry them off but I don't want to bend them if they are secured by another way. I can't see any screws or bolts to take loose to remove them. On my other class A's you had to take a wrench and remove a special nut on the hub cap to remove it. Any help or information appreciated. Would like to hear from Axis Owners.
Mel

Old 09-04-2023, 04:37 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Pry one off.
You know from your prior RV what it feels like if you need the wrench.
Stop prying if it feels wrong.
Both type caps are used on axis.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 05:10 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
How do you remove the hub caps on a 2016 axis 24.1 they look like you just pry them off but I don't want to bend them if they are secured by another way. I can't see any screws or bolts to take loose to remove them. On my other class A's you had to take a wrench and remove a special nut on the hub cap to remove it. Any help or information appreciated. Would like to hear from Axis Owners.
Mel
Look carefully at the 10 "lug nuts." If 2 or 3 have dimples on the side they unscrew to allow the wheel cover to be removed. The others are part of the wheel cover.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 09:34 PM   #4

THOR #2474
I looked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Look carefully at the 10 "lug nuts." If 2 or 3 have dimples on the side they unscrew to allow the wheel cover to be removed. The others are part of the wheel cover.
I looked but dont see any of the ones or type that unscrew to remove the hub cap. If they are the type that you have to pry on to remove, they are awful tight. Will study the situation more and look at the lugs on the hubcap. Will keep the forum posted. I will be surprised if they are the type that you have to pry off. Every class A i've owed you had a special wrench to take off the nuts that held the hub caps on.
Mel
Old 09-05-2023, 02:26 AM   #5

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Mel
My ACE 30.3 with 19.5" wheels has 3 "lug Nuts" with dimples that are screwed on to the studs that the actual nuts holding the wheels on. They are usually not very tight you just need a socket large enough to fit and a ratchet to loosen. Then the Liners should just pull off.

My 1996 Allegro Chevy P30 chassis had caps that pushed on over the actual lug nuts. To remove the Wheels liners you removed the caps over the lug nuts, the liners were retained by half the lug nuts. So, you removed the lug nuts retaining the liners and pulled the liners off.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 03:06 AM   #6

THOR #2474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
My ACE 30.3 with 19.5" wheels has 3 "lug Nuts" with dimples that are screwed on to the studs that the actual nuts holding the wheels on. They are usually not very tight you just need a socket large enough to fit and a ratchet to loosen. Then the Liners should just pull off.

My 1996 Allegro Chevy P30 chassis had caps that pushed on over the actual lug nuts. To remove the Wheels liners you removed the caps over the lug nuts, the liners were retained by half the lug nuts. So, you removed the lug nuts retaining the liners and pulled the liners off.
This is how all of the other 6 Class "A"s were that I've owned, so far I've not found any of the caps with dimples. I do have a wrench that will fit if they are the screw on type. I also have a pair of pliers with rubber on the jaws if they are the push on type. Will have to study the caps some more.
mel
Old 09-13-2023, 10:06 PM   #7

Model: 25.2
State: Alaska
THOR #4999
Our Vegas, the hub caps just pry off...
Old 09-14-2023, 12:06 AM   #8

Model: 2024 Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #28777
Wheel cover removal

My 2023 Vegas 24.1 and now my 2024 Axis 24.1 both needed a pry bar to remove the covers. Like duckface said, you will know if prying feels wrong. I start at 12 o'clock and pry a bit, then move to 3, 6 and 9. By the time I'm back to 12 the cover just slips right off.

Enjoy your coach.
Old 09-14-2023, 02:00 AM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agvegas View Post
My 2023 Vegas 24.1 and now my 2024 Axis 24.1 both needed a pry bar to remove the covers. Like duckface said, you will know if prying feels wrong. I start at 12 o'clock and pry a bit, then move to 3, 6 and 9. By the time I'm back to 12 the cover just slips right off.

Enjoy your coach.
And if you are using a screw driver to pry with, it needs to be a big one. And it works best if it is inserted at an angle so you are prying over a larger area which distributes the force and doesn’t bend the hub cap.

David
Old 09-15-2023, 01:03 PM   #10

State: Florida
THOR #17255
Wheel cover removal for 2016 Thor Ace 30.1

From your photo, the wheel covers look similar to those on our 2016 Ace 30.1.
As someone already mentioned, 3 of the "lug nuts" look a little different, and those are the ones with the dimples. Another clue can be if you've found this strange tool the looks like a "T". See attached photos.

This is the only coach we've owned, so I have no experience with other wheel cover attachments, so I offer this only as a suggestion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WheelCoverRemoval.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	43557   Click image for larger version

Name:	WheelCoverRemovalTool.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	43558  

Old 09-15-2023, 03:18 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Isn't the Axis/Vegas just a Ford E-series cutaway chassis with the factory cab removed? That chassis just uses pry-off simulators... hub caps with no external lug nuts.

The larger F-53 chassis used on class A motorhomes is a different animal.
Old 09-15-2023, 03:46 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Isn't the Axis/Vegas just a Ford E-series cutaway chassis with the factory cab removed? That chassis just uses pry-off simulators... hub caps with no external lug nuts.

The larger F-53 chassis used on class A motorhomes is a different animal.
The E-350 stripped chassis are assembled by Detroit Chassis in Avon, OH. The F-53 stripped chassis is assembled by Detroit Chassis in Detroit, Mi. Ford designs and warrants the striped chassis and stipulates what components are to be used by Detroit Chassis. All of the cutaway chassis are manufactured by Ford and most are manufactured in the Ford Truck plant in Louisville, KY
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hub caps