Loping Engine - Thor Hurricane
Our last trip took us from Las Vegas to Denver via HWY 70 which is a meandering 2-lane freeway through the mountains of Colorado. As we passed through the mountains we ran into a snow storm that powered the freeway with a couple of inches of snow. It was a white-knuckled trip following a semi-truck most of the way into Denver.
Prior to this we had left Arkansas to see the Grand Canyon and then onto Las Vegas where we would have the opportunity to visit with friends. Our RV, a Thor Hurricane, worked flawlessly and the trip to Las Vegas was a joy. We were doing fine until we were at the highest pass on Hwy 70 which was recorded to be at an elevation of 10,600 ft. when suddenly, the engine started to lope. The engine would act as if the accelerator was momentarily released every ½ second or so. When I tried to accelerate the problem became much worse, but when I eased the throttle down and limited my acceleration, then the problem abated somewhat, but was still noticeable.
After reaching the RV Park, I spent a day reading the lousy manual that Thor gave me in an attempt to discover what might be happening. I knew that it was not an electrical problem and I knew that it was not a fuel problem because the loping characteristic was even and didn’t change with RPM’s. While studying the Ford engine manual, I discovered on page 82-83 that if one changed a chassis battery that the transmission and the engine would have to relearn how to operate, which convinced me that there is a computer that controls both the engine and the transmission. The engine manual has a set of instructions on what to do to assist in the relearning event.
With the thought that nothing ventured is nothing gained, I disconnected the chassis battery. I then disconnected all power to the coach and put the coach into its “store” mode. To assure that there was no power active power I turned the headlight switch to full on and assured myself that there was no power going to the chassis or the coach. After ten (10) minutes, I reconnected the coach power and turned the coach into its “use” mode.
At this time it was interesting to note that the headlights started to operate. Also, a driving test revealed that the loping problem was gone. Wed drove from Denver back to Arkansas without further problems. Hope this information might help onother .... Paul Hetzer