Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2022, 12:27 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Replaced my radio in my 17 29h. You have to remove the entire bezel. Start by dropping the steering column, then pull the bezel out and unhook all the wires and vacuum lines attached to it!
Radio can then be unscrewed. Behind the radio is a video switch box for left, right and backup cameras, very possible connectors are loose.
I put a pioneer doubl din and love it. Camera resolution is better and sounds better.
PS. I use the remote all the time when parked.

Old 03-09-2023, 12:15 AM   #22

State: Virginia
THOR #28938
Astounded

New 2023 29J. Took delivery January 19. Took on about a month shake out (right in the backyard of the dealership).

In addition to ongoing crappy service
=== I take that back. It should read absolute non- responsiveness from Warranty / Delivery Sheet / Parts POC (DJ) or the "Operations Manager" (CD) ===
from the GeneralRV dealer in Orange Beach FL...... My Sales guy Rick was awesome and even now is responsive when I reach out. The rest of the dealership need some serious training / cleanout.

Back to the 19J.
It astounds me how poor the workmanship is, and the number of issues there are, on a brand new unit. Then when you try to get them checked (not fixed mind you - just looked at to determine safety vs asthetics) they (the dealer and Thor) look at you like you have three heads and how dare you have the gall to expect shit to work after plopping down over $100k.

I have gone to an entirely different and very well known RV chain to list out and document the issues:
- including SAFETY concerns that the dealer and Thor want to ignore regarding
+ four wheel alignment / home on chassis alignment?
+ propane lines not secure per the Thor drawings
+ sanitation issues where water remains in the sink because the drain piping is not run properly (pipe runs higher than the drain in the sink)

- And inability to Camp issues
+ slideout wiring not connected securely (my new friends at the other dealer fixed this while I waited!
+ wall panel bowed out and Slideout dug into it damaging slideout wall framing.

- all the other tiky-tack shit I will either fix or wait in line to have fixed under warranty

I fixed a laundry list if issues myself today
- parts missing (bought and installed myself - windshield sun-visor clip....
- noisy water pipes and water pump rattling against wood framing, floor, walls. (Used a little foam piping insulation to seperate them from each other)
- no gasket, weather stripping... around AC in garage - on one side a full 1" gap letting cold / hot air in (and bugs, pollen....) Again, some foam pipe insulation
- secured propane line to stove. P-clips were there but not secured to anything
- framing for kitchen drawers only 1/2 completed. Drawers had no support on one side. Screws were sitting on the floor with the 5 lbs of saw dust from assembly.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:31 AM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytraveler2003 View Post
New 2023 29J. Took delivery January 19. Took on about a month shake out (right in the backyard of the dealership).

In addition to ongoing crappy service
=== I take that back. It should read absolute non- responsiveness from Warranty / Delivery Sheet / Parts POC (DJ) or the "Operations Manager" (CD) ===
from the GeneralRV dealer in Orange Beach FL...... My Sales guy Rick was awesome and even now is responsive when I reach out. The rest of the dealership need some serious training / cleanout.

Back to the 19J.
It astounds me how poor the workmanship is, and the number of issues there are, on a brand new unit. Then when you try to get them checked (not fixed mind you - just looked at to determine safety vs asthetics) they (the dealer and Thor) look at you like you have three heads and how dare you have the gall to expect shit to work after plopping down over $100k.

I have gone to an entirely different and very well known RV chain to list out and document the issues:
- including SAFETY concerns that the dealer and Thor want to ignore regarding
+ four wheel alignment / home on chassis alignment?
+ propane lines not secure per the Thor drawings
+ sanitation issues where water remains in the sink because the drain piping is not run properly (pipe runs higher than the drain in the sink)

- And inability to Camp issues
+ slideout wiring not connected securely (my new friends at the other dealer fixed this while I waited!
+ wall panel bowed out and Slideout dug into it damaging slideout wall framing.

- all the other tiky-tack shit I will either fix or wait in line to have fixed under warranty

I fixed a laundry list if issues myself today
- parts missing (bought and installed myself - windshield sun-visor clip....
- noisy water pipes and water pump rattling against wood framing, floor, walls. (Used a little foam piping insulation to seperate them from each other)
- no gasket, weather stripping... around AC in garage - on one side a full 1" gap letting cold / hot air in (and bugs, pollen....) Again, some foam pipe insulation
- secured propane line to stove. P-clips were there but not secured to anything
- framing for kitchen drawers only 1/2 completed. Drawers had no support on one side. Screws were sitting on the floor with the 5 lbs of saw dust from assembly.
Your discoveries are not a surprise to anyone on this forum who pays attention. Hindsight is 20/20 but proper research on RV quality before plopping down that 100K would have given you a good idea of what to look for and a good PDI checklist to help you verify the condition of the RV and all its systems BEFORE you take delivery of it. Once you've signed the papers, you have no leverage and are at the mercy of the dealer. As you've discovered, come dealers are better than others and some like to point to Thor as the source of warranty repair issues when they have not properly communicated to or filled out the paperwork or ordered the parts for repair.

We all wish that buying a new RV insured a properly assembled rig that had undergone the same level of QA and QC as a new car, but that simple is not the case. But as in all purchases, an educated consumer is a good consumer.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 12:43 AM   #24

THOR #28938
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Your discoveries are not a surprise to anyone on this forum who pays attention. Hindsight is 20/20 but proper research on RV quality before plopping down that 100K would have given you a good idea of what to look for and a good PDI checklist to help you verify the condition of the RV and all its systems BEFORE you take delivery of it. Once you've signed the papers, you have no leverage and are at the mercy of the dealer. As you've discovered, come dealers are better than others and some like to point to Thor as the source of warranty repair issues when they have not properly communicated to or filled out the paperwork or ordered the parts for repair.

We all wish that buying a new RV insured a properly assembled rig that had undergone the same level of QA and QC as a new car, but that simple is not the case. But as in all purchases, an educated consumer is a good consumer.
Sounds like you are taking a shot at me????

All I said was that I was astounded. Not that I didn't know that workmanship, pride in ones job and ownership to fix whats not right has all gone in the shitter.

So you are saying, I should have known about items not assembled per Thor schematics. Shit happens. That is where warranty work comes in. The challenge is getting someone who cares to do thier job
Old 03-09-2023, 02:23 AM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytraveler2003 View Post
Sounds like you are taking a shot at me????

All I said was that I was astounded. Not that I didn't know that workmanship, pride in ones job and ownership to fix whats not right has all gone in the shitter.

So you are saying, I should have known about items not assembled per Thor schematics. Shit happens. That is where warranty work comes in. The challenge is getting someone who cares to do thier job
A shot at you? No, just saying you are not the first to come to this Forum with their first post complaining about the state of the RV assembly and dealer care AFTER the purchase. And confirming to you that the state of QA and QC that are are used to in the auto market is not what the state of RV construction currently is: in Thor, or any other mass produced RV manufacturer.

So you are not alone and your experience is not unique.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 02:42 AM   #26

THOR #28938
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
A shot at you? No, just saying you are not the first to come to this Forum with their first post complaining about the state of the RV assembly and dealer care AFTER the purchase. And confirming to you that the state of QA and QC that are are used to in the auto market is not what the state of RV construction currently is: in Thor, or any other mass produced RV manufacturer.

So you are not alone and your experience is not unique.

Thanks Ted. May be coming to you for advice as I go through the process.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:30 PM   #27

THOR #28938
Update to my earlier post
"#22 Astounded"

Huge kudos to Thor.

They actually reached out to me and we spoke at length about my issues with the RV as well as the selling Dealer. Kayla (Thor Customer Service) has been very responsive, supportive and communicative with regard to getting my concerns documented, evaluated via pictures I sent, and addressed. So much so that she has also been in communications with the Dealer I have an appointment with to ensure the rear wheel alignment issue is properly technically evaluated and addressed.

More to follow