Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2022, 03:34 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #25990
Angry Thor Outlaw 2016 - 38RE - Overhead Bunk Issues

I just purchased a 2016 38 RE - only has 11,500 miles so I am thinking it is broke in.
I have not taken it out yet, as I am making sure everything is ready before going. I ran into an issue quickly with the overhead bunk. It was sticking on the drivers side as I've read on here others have the issue too. I actually climbed up there and took the side panel off so I could get a good look at what is going on. The small pulley wheel that allows the cable to pass over it was almost sideways. Looked like the bracket was collapsing on the pulley wheel. I was able to support the bed with a couple of metal pipes so I could remove the cable. I bent the bracket out straight, drilled a hole to install a spacer that would hopefully keep this from happening again. Put it all back together and it worked fine for about 4 up and downs and it appears to be having trouble again. I have not looked to see if my modification has failed, I am just so frustrated with it that I was wondering if anyone has installed or replaced this with something else that works better. I just feel like the mechanism is not that reliable. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:17 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! Have you done a search here for similar issues? There are videos out there on the Swintek systems, too. Are you making sure to avoid stopping less than full travel? That can screw things up.

Maybe you'll get better responses, but there's a start.