Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2021, 06:39 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I grew up with mechanical lifts on equipment and ran some of the first hydraulic systems to be marketed on the farm/ranch

Long term storage (years) or salt water spray may require wiping and treatment otherwise the wipers and seals work well

Sent from my SM-G970U using Thor RV Forum mobile app

Old 11-13-2021, 07:16 PM   #22

State: Ontario
THOR #23492
Pros & Cons

Pros: I can't think of any. The fridge is not running, nobody is in it so non-level doesn't matter, ...

Cons:

If you're in an area where the ground freezes, then there will be lifting of one or more levelers. It won't be an equal lift. And then you're not level any more, and there is an unbalanced weight on the system.

You're using a system which doesn't need to be used. That's load over time, which is what wears things out. Eventually.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:30 PM   #23
MSK

Model: Palazzo 37.4 Former ACE30
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1590
It is what I was taught in the military. It keeps the system pressurized and keeps the seals from drying out and degrading. That is why you will often see hydraulically operated boom trucks and cranes slightly extended and elevated while not in use.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:56 PM   #24

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSK View Post
It is what I was taught in the military. It keeps the system pressurized and keeps the seals from drying out and degrading. That is why you will often see hydraulically operated boom trucks and cranes slightly extended and elevated while not in use.
When I was reading from manufacturers suggestions about hydraulic maintenance, it made no difference what state/position the ram was in. The huge maintenance item repeated was protecting the seals, AND replacing them as soon as any leaks are detected.

Dump beds are left elevated slightly to help prevent standing water and allow runoff... nothing to do with hydraulics.

For the perfectionists - raise the motorhome to get the tires off the ground, then set 4 jack stands to support the suspension and frame. Finally cover the tires to protect from UV. That pretty much covers all the bases and the superstitions.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:39 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #13946
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
Why? I am not sure but think that would have a lot of pressure on the lines for months? I would think most storage is flat already.
r
I was in tire business for 40 years, the only thing that will happen is the first 200 miles after storage you will have a vibration, your tire will have flat stops. Plus a lot of moisture gets inside tires. They will suck in water, hot--- cold. If anything put on wooden blocks As far as pressure, it will be better that you lost pressure. Pressure on seal is better than than dry seals
Old 11-13-2021, 10:34 PM   #26

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
When I was reading from manufacturers suggestions about hydraulic maintenance, it made no difference what state/position the ram was in. The huge maintenance item repeated was protecting the seals, AND replacing them as soon as any leaks are detected.

Dump beds are left elevated slightly to help prevent standing water and allow runoff... nothing to do with hydraulics.

For the perfectionists - raise the motorhome to get the tires off the ground, then set 4 jack stands to support the suspension and frame. Finally cover the tires to protect from UV. That pretty much covers all the bases and the superstitions.
Sounds like your suggestion covers all the bases

Personally I never leave any weight on my Jacks in storage. The tires are modern and not nylon so no big issue with flat spots

If you do jack it up and block or use stands be careful. A 65 year old fellow near us last week was working on his up in the air and he is no longer with us
Old 11-14-2021, 02:17 AM   #27

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
THOR #13744
The only pro I can see to extend the level jacks is to prevent possible flat spots.

Our Class C did not have level jacks and I didn't have any problems during storage. Our ACE has them but I only use them when we camp and I need to level. I also prefer the manual mode so I can level with minimum lift as I prefer to have the tires on the ground.

With that said, I will drive the RV once a month during storage and also run the generator for a few hours with a load (two electric heaters). we just hang out in the RV , have some coffee and watch a movie.
Old 11-14-2021, 03:48 AM   #28

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
The only pro I can see to extend the level jacks is to prevent possible flat spots.

Our Class C did not have level jacks and I didn't have any problems during storage. Our ACE has them but I only use them when we camp and I need to level. I also prefer the manual mode so I can level with minimum lift as I prefer to have the tires on the ground.

With that said, I will drive the RV once a month during storage and also run the generator for a few hours with a load (two electric heaters). we just hang out in the RV , have some coffee and watch a movie.
Perfect plan... very similar to mine. Mine has been sitting in the back yard winterized, unlevel, on it's tires, completely covered with leveling jacks retracted since November 1st. One roof mounted solar panel is exposed to keep batteries topped off. December 1st I'll check battery water, run generator for about an hour with a couple 1500 watt heaters plugged in for load, and run the engine for about 20 minutes. Then repeat every first of month until first week of April.
Old 11-14-2021, 04:56 AM   #29

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Virginia
THOR #25276
I kept my toy hauler fifth wheel on its hydraulic jacks of course without issue, and will do the same for my 29m Windsport. Keeps the wheels round!
'21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Sky One Touch, 3.6L, 2.5” lift, Demco Brakes, Blue Ox A2.
Rclbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:59 AM   #30

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
THOR #13744
Mine is also winterized but it looks like we are doing one more short trip next week. So I get to practice the winterization procedure some more.
Old 11-14-2021, 05:40 PM   #31

State: Iowa
THOR #9915
On the farm, we always greased hydrolic rams that were left extended for the winter to avoid corrosion.
If i dont have to leave the ram extended i don't just for that reason. With the new metals they shouldn't corrode, but i am not willing to take that expensive risk.