Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2023, 06:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #17925
House Battery Issue

I am hoping for some answers on a problem I am having. I have a Go Power solar charge controller and it is not getting power. I am plugged into shore power and my computer screen is telling me that my house batteries are fully charged. The manufacturer of this solar charge controller tells me that the only thing this controller does is charge the house batteries from solar panels. I do not have solar panels hooked up. Thor must have put other electrical components on the same circuit with this controller because my navitgation screen will not come on and my generator will not even try to start when I press the button. I found 1 20 amp fuse right at the house batteries which was not blown. How can I find out if there are anymore fuses to check in the wiring? I have a 2019 Thor Axis 27.7.

Old 01-23-2023, 06:54 PM   #2

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Meckes View Post
I am hoping for some answers on a problem I am having. I have a Go Power solar charge controller and it is not getting power. I am plugged into shore power and my computer screen is telling me that my house batteries are fully charged. The manufacturer of this solar charge controller tells me that the only thing this controller does is charge the house batteries from solar panels. I do not have solar panels hooked up. Thor must have put other electrical components on the same circuit with this controller because my navitgation screen will not come on and my generator will not even try to start when I press the button. I found 1 20 amp fuse right at the house batteries which was not blown. How can I find out if there are anymore fuses to check in the wiring? I have a 2019 Thor Axis 27.7.
I have a solar panel and Thor forgot to install the charge controller. Thor sent me one and I cut a hole in the panel by my door, If I remember right there were 4 wires 2 in and 2 out that's it. As far as I know they just go to the battery and there is a fuse right by the battery because the wires shorted out from Thor just coiling them in a ball inside the panel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (284).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	40664  
Old 01-23-2023, 07:10 PM   #3

THOR #20274
Sign up at the Thor Owners Resource. Everything about YOUR rv.https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owners
Old 01-23-2023, 08:08 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
If you have no solar panels the solar controller does NOTHING.

If the radio won't come on and the generator won't start then it sounds like the house batteries are dead and the battery disconnect is open so they are not being charged from the converter/charger and shore power (SP).

You should measure the voltage of the house batteries directly at the house batteries. While there check the status of the 50 amp and 100 amp DC breakers.

If the battery disconnect is open and the house batteries are dead then they will need to be charged externally or by running the engine in order to shut the battery disconnect.

The battery "status" screen tells you the status of the batteries if NOT connected to SP or running the generator and the battery disconnect is closed.

I suspect if you disconnect from SP right now, nothing will have power in the RV.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:04 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I agree with Ted’s advice above.

With regard to the solar system, the wire with the 20A fuse tied to the batteries goes to the solar controller. The input wiring to the controller goes to a solar port on the roof and if no panels, stops there.

Apparently prewired for solar means various things to Thor and in your case it means you have a solar controller wired to the batteries and a roof port, which makes it easy to add a panel or panels if you so choose.

David
Old 01-23-2023, 10:54 PM   #6

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I agree with Ted’s advice above.

With regard to the solar system, the wire with the 20A fuse tied to the batteries goes to the solar controller. The input wiring to the controller goes to a solar port on the roof and if no panels, stops there.

Apparently prewired for solar means various things to Thor and in your case it means you have a solar controller wired to the batteries and a roof port, which makes it easy to add a panel or panels if you so choose.

David
Funny the diagram I posted shows a 10 amp fuse, I'm sure mine is larger than that
Old 01-25-2023, 04:43 PM   #7

THOR #17925
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

If the radio won't come on and the generator won't start then it sounds like the house batteries are dead and the battery disconnect is open so they are not being charged from the converter/charger and shore power (SP).

You should measure the voltage of the house batteries directly at the house batteries. While there check the status of the 50 amp and 100 amp DC breakers.

If the battery disconnect is open and the house batteries are dead then they will need to be charged externally or by running the engine in order to shut the battery disconnect.

The battery "status" screen tells you the status of the batteries if NOT connected to SP or running the generator and the battery disconnect is closed.

I suspect if you disconnect from SP right now, nothing will have power in the RV.
My RV is an hour away at our perm site so I cannot check right now. I found this problem when I was there to check on the RV and run the generator for a little bit. I did unplug from shore power when I saw this problem because I wanted to shut off the power disconnect switch to kill everything, wait a few minutes and then turn the power back on in hopes that something might reset. I still had power when I unplugged. I will check the batteries with my tester and look for 50 & 100 breakers. Are those 2 breakers in the battery compartment?
Old 01-25-2023, 05:57 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
My RV is an hour away at our perm site so I cannot check right now. I found this problem when I was there to check on the RV and run the generator for a little bit. I did unplug from shore power when I saw this problem because I wanted to shut off the power disconnect switch to kill everything, wait a few minutes and then turn the power back on in hopes that something might reset. I still had power when I unplugged. I will check the batteries with my tester and look for 50 & 100 breakers. Are those 2 breakers in the battery compartment?
In or very near the battery compartment.
Old 02-08-2023, 03:09 PM   #9

THOR #17925
Quote:

I finally got there to check this yesterday and you are right the batteries are dead. I ran the engine for approx. 10 minutes and then plugged back into shore power, turned off all of the breakers on the inverter and then turned them back on and you hear the inverter run for 2 seconds then stop. I don't think the battery disconnect shut, do I have to run engine longer?
Old 02-08-2023, 03:27 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
I finally got there to check this yesterday and you are right the batteries are dead. I ran the engine for approx. 10 minutes and then plugged back into shore power, turned off all of the breakers on the inverter and then turned them back on and you hear the inverter run for 2 seconds then stop. I don't think the battery disconnect shut, do I have to run engine longer?
If lead acid batteries are discharged for any length of time, they begin to sulfate (produce hard non-soluble crystals), so the batteries probably need to be replaced. A battery load test will confirm the batteries state.
Assuming you have two group 27 lead-acid batteries being charged by a 200 amp engine alternator, which produces about 60 amps at engine idle, it would take a minimum of 3.5 hours to charge the batteries if all was perfect.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 03:59 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Breakers on the inverter? Do you mean breakers in the Power Center? If so, not necessary.

Run the engine, with it still running close the battery disconnect (STORE/USE in USE or MAIN POWER switch ON). You can stay plugged into SP with the engine running.

Now turn off the engine and let the CONVERTER charge the house batteries.
After about an hour disconnect from SP and see if your DC loads continue working (interior lights). If so, you've got some charge on your house batteries AND the battery disconnect is closed - plug back in to SP and let the batteries fully charge (8 or more hours).

If not, either the house batteries are completely dead or the battery disconnect is open.

You can't hear either an inverter or converter run, just their cooling fans, which don't run all the time.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:10 PM   #12

State: Louisiana
THOR #26495
Quote:
My first thought was that your disconnect is not turning on which would cause you to have no power to your genset or navigation/radio. However, you made reference to your "computer screen" which makes me think you are talking about a BM Pro or LCI multiplex system. If thats the case, then the disconnect must be working or partially working because that screen would not be working otherwise. Is this a 30 amp or 50 amp coach? What voltage does the "house/coach" battery show when plugged in to shore power?
Old 02-08-2023, 09:49 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@theShop View Post
My first thought was that your disconnect is not turning on which would cause you to have no power to your genset or navigation/radio. However, you made reference to your "computer screen" which makes me think you are talking about a BM Pro or LCI multiplex system. If thats the case, then the disconnect must be working or partially working because that screen would not be working otherwise. Is this a 30 amp or 50 amp coach? What voltage does the "house/coach" battery show when plugged in to shore power?
The battery disconnect has no bearing on DC loads when plugged in to SP. The converter will power all those DC loads and the "computer screen", just like the old 4 LED battery status indicators, would give you a false "batteries fully charged" status.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:47 AM   #14

Model: ACE 29.3
THOR #27444
we have a nightmare issue with batteries dying. Even when the service shop at the dealer (RVONE) put in all new batteries, they all went dead during a long weekend trip while we were connected to shore power.
RVOne replaced Inverter. Replaced Converter. Replaced house and coach batteries.
The only solution that seems to work is when RVOne 24-7 assistance rep told me to unplug the fridge from the converter and plug it into a wall outlet with an extension cord.....and run the generator while we drive. Service rep claims 'something' is not grounded properly and is draining batteries all the time...even when everything is off.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:11 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolliBus View Post
we have a nightmare issue with batteries dying. Even when the service shop at the dealer (RVONE) put in all new batteries, they all went dead during a long weekend trip while we were connected to shore power.
RVOne replaced Inverter. Replaced Converter. Replaced house and coach batteries.
The only solution that seems to work is when RVOne 24-7 assistance rep told me to unplug the fridge from the converter and plug it into a wall outlet with an extension cord.....and run the generator while we drive. Service rep claims 'something' is not grounded properly and is draining batteries all the time...even when everything is off.
You mean unplug it from an inverter powered receptacle? You could have just left it there and ran the generator.
Old 02-09-2023, 03:28 PM   #16

THOR #17925
Quote:
The battery disconnect has no bearing on DC loads when plugged in to SP. The converter will power all those DC loads and the "computer screen", just like the old 4 LED battery status indicators, would give you a false "batteries fully charged" status.
So do you think it is the converter?
Old 02-19-2023, 02:18 PM   #17

THOR #27444
Quote:
You mean unplug it from an inverter powered receptacle? You could have just left it there and ran the generator.

When we left the fridge plugged into the unit under the fridge cabinet (converter/inverter?), even with the generator running, the fridge was dead.
Old 02-19-2023, 02:32 PM   #18

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolliBus View Post
When we left the fridge plugged into the unit under the fridge cabinet (converter/inverter?), even with the generator running, the fridge was dead.
I think you need to get some of those watt meters and find out how much power is being drawn out of you batteries. I think Amazon has many meters that can be installed on the battery cable that will show you the amount of power being used over a given time. I think the have a shunt for the battery cable. It might show the batteries are toast and need to be replaced
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery monitor.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	40959  
Old 08-01-2023, 01:54 AM   #19

THOR #27444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I think you need to get some of those watt meters and find out how much power is being drawn out of you batteries. I think Amazon has many meters that can be installed on the battery cable that will show you the amount of power being used over a given time. I think the have a shunt for the battery cable. It might show the batteries are toast and need to be replaced

All fixed. Amazing what a bad mechanic can do.
The fridge was not grounded. The batteries were not connected properly and were over heating. La Mesa service manager said we should have caught fire easily. Have new batteries. Fridge grounded. No issues.
La Mesa Fort Pierce, Florida fixed it all.
RVOne ala Blue Compass in Newtown, waste months of us not traveling and getting stuck when we did….and wasted time and money. Worst mechanic service ever experienced, car or rv.