Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2022, 01:36 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
On ours, we had the same issue of ground clearance on the rear leveler pads.

I found that there is enough room to relocate the jacks, in the rear, because their mounting brackets have a series of holes, and there was clearance enough to raise the jacks one or two holes.

I wanted to do the same for the front, only to find that there is not enough clearance to actually move them up a notch, or two.

So, I raised the rears only. I have thought about helper springs, or more like going to a shop specializing in heavy trucks and redoing the spring pack of leaves to a greater load carrying capacity. But I chose not to at this time.

That's how I addressed it.

Old 03-21-2022, 04:29 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #22705
Last week I pulled our RV out of storage and took it down for the install of the 7200lb upgraded rear leaf springs.
A couple hours after I dropped it off the spring installer called and refused to install the springs due to the layout under the Thor RV. I was kinda ticked off, but the installer was nice enough not to charge me anything as he said he can use the springs on his next ambulance upgrade.

So here is where I landed with my rear suspension upgrade.

This weekend I installed super springs (not to be confused with sumo springs) which is basically an adjustable add-a-leaf the rear spring pack that doesn't require the spring packs to be removed to install.
The super springs come with 4 levels of adjustment (or preload). I started off on the light setting Friday and switched them to the 2nd setting on Saturday.

My family is very happy with the ride of our class C Outlaw now. And we have a couple extra inches of ground clearance that also helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220320_203522989.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	36548

I don't have an exact before and after picture, but here is our current ride height.
The frame is 5/8" higher in the front and 1.5" higher in the rear (fully loaded) from where we started (empty). The ride, road noise, sway are all tremendously better. This is the way it should come from the factory!

Total cost of about $2350 plus my labor for:
1. Front and rear koni fsd shocks
2. Front and rear Sumo Springs (progressive foam bump stops)
3. Front moog progressive coil springs
4. Rear super springs. (Adjustable add a leaf)
5. Alignment

Next up will be 215/85/16 tires to add a bit more clearance.
Old 03-21-2022, 05:56 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6inthefamily View Post
Last week I pulled our RV out of storage and took it down for the install of the 7200lb upgraded rear leaf springs.
A couple hours after I dropped it off the spring installer called and refused to install the springs due to the layout under the Thor RV. I was kinda ticked off, but the installer was nice enough not to charge me anything as he said he can use the springs on his next ambulance upgrade.

So here is where I landed with my rear suspension upgrade.

This weekend I installed super springs (not to be confused with sumo springs) which is basically an adjustable add-a-leaf the rear spring pack that doesn't require the spring packs to be removed to install.
The super springs come with 4 levels of adjustment (or preload). I started off on the light setting Friday and switched them to the 2nd setting on Saturday.

My family is very happy with the ride of our class C Outlaw now. And we have a couple extra inches of ground clearance that also helps.

Attachment 36548

I don't have an exact before and after picture, but here is our current ride height.
The frame is 5/8" higher in the front and 1.5" higher in the rear (fully loaded) from where we started (empty). The ride, road noise, sway are all tremendously better. This is the way it should come from the factory!

Total cost of about $2350 plus my labor for:
1. Front and rear koni fsd shocks
2. Front and rear Sumo Springs (progressive foam bump stops)
3. Front moog progressive coil springs
4. Rear super springs. (Adjustable add a leaf)
5. Alignment

Next up will be 215/85/16 tires to add a bit more clearance.
Since your chassis is an E450, I’m familiar with most of your mods.
I will suggest that your tire replacement be a Commercial grade tire.
A Commercial grade tire supports up to 3,250# vs 2600# for Thor OEM - E rated tire.