Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2022, 07:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Iowa
THOR #27154
Solar controller

I got used 2018 Thor windsport,with solar wiring hook up on the roof,does mean that it has controller on it and were would it be and look like?

Old 12-04-2022, 07:38 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Most MHs of that era were sold with pre-installed wiring from a solar port on the roof down to someplace behind a cabinet and coiled up there, but no panel nor controller. Look behind cabinets, drawers, etc. for a coil of cable near a side panel where you could mount a controller.

David
Old 12-04-2022, 07:46 PM   #3

Model: ACE 29G
State: Florida
THOR #28393
Look like this and should be on wall where other controls are located.Click image for larger version

Name:	20221202_150244.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	40278
Old 12-04-2022, 07:56 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper10 View Post
I got used 2018 Thor windsport,with solar wiring hook up on the roof,does mean that it has controller on it and were would it be and look like?
2018 was pre-wired for solar. Solar panels and controller were not installed by Thor.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:57 PM   #5

Model: ACE 29G
State: Florida
THOR #28393
Checked the features for 2018 Windsport and it does say "prepped" for solar..so likely no controller.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221204-145440_Adobe%20Acrobat.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	40279
Old 12-21-2022, 08:26 PM   #6

Model: 24fe
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper10 View Post

I have a 2018 Thor product but not the same model (24fe). As another person added, there is no solar controller supplied for the 2018 models - we should have waited for the 2019s. However, I have never been able to locate that solar 12awg "coiled" wire that comes down from the roof. I've been told that the wires are orange and white. I have looked behind the converter and under all cabinets, the bed, and all storage bays. The wiring schematics for my coach do not show the location. Three years later and still no luck. I was told by Thor to look behind the wooden vent in front of the heater. No luck. Let us know if you find yours. If you find the wires, adding the controller should be easy.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:11 PM   #7

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbob View Post
I have a 2018 Thor product but not the same model (24fe). As another person added, there is no solar controller supplied for the 2018 models - we should have waited for the 2019s. However, I have never been able to locate that solar 12awg "coiled" wire that comes down from the roof. I've been told that the wires are orange and white. I have looked behind the converter and under all cabinets, the bed, and all storage bays. The wiring schematics for my coach do not show the location. Three years later and still no luck. I was told by Thor to look behind the wooden vent in front of the heater. No luck. Let us know if you find yours. If you find the wires, adding the controller should be easy.
There’s always a chance that your build was one that didn’t include wiring for whatever reason. Sometimes it’s a Thor issue, as you’ve probably read abt on the Forum.
My rig was not wired, so I ran 10 gauge from the roof fridge vent down the inside wall, and then to under cabinets.
Once there, it’s an easy route to wherever you decide you need it.
Old 12-22-2022, 04:59 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbob View Post
Our 2020 24F had the controller mounted on the side of the kitchen cabinet in the entryway... just above the steps, near the battery disconnect (use/store) switch. Remove the drawers below the kitchen sink to where you can see the backside of that cabinet wall. Grab a flashlight...There's going to be a mess of wires in there going to other switches.

Alternatively, pull the use/store switch and look through that hole. If the wire is there, it will be coiled up in there. Nearly all controllers are mounted in that area on class C motorhomes.