Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2021, 10:16 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #12686
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardehrhart View Post
I am ready to yank out the small 6 cu ft absorption fridge and replace it with a 10.1 magic chef residential fridge. I've watched multiple you tube videos on how to replace the unit but most were in a permanent location where they will be on 120v ac 100% of the time. We are planning to do a bunch of travel in the next year in our 2016 ACE 30.1. Does anyone have suggestions as to wiring the unit for both shore power and using house batteries while traveling? Do I modify the existing electrical system or put in a separate invertor, charging system, a set of batteries, and a transfer switch?
We have had the Magic Chef 10.1cf residential refrigerator in our Thor Vegas for almost 4 years. We love it and have had no issues at all. I had to remove the small cabinet above the old fridge and this one fit like a glove. I purchased the fridge at Home Depot for under $300. I installed the AIMS inverter with built-in transfer switch (install videos on YouTube). Inverter was $207 and another $50 for wiring. The inverter runs all outlets on the driver side of our coach. We are not hard-core boon-dockers but we do dry camp occasionally…lots of overnight stays at Cracker Barrel. We have gone overnight and well into the next afternoon without recharging the batteries. I do not mind starting up the genny once or twice a day to charge back up. The original house batteries lasted 3 ½ years and we now have AGMs. Another option is the 12v fridges that they are putting in lots of RVs at the factories. They are very efficient but cast as much as an RV absorption fridge. I have heard that the Vegas/Axis line now comes with the 12v fridge. I hope this bit of info helps with your decision. Wish I had seen it sooner. Remember, everyone has different preferences, choose yours as you wish. Always lots of good content from all angles in this forum.
Our preference for compressor fridge over absorption fridge is:
1) It gets cold in 1 – 2 hours.
2) It stays cold…I like my beer cold!!!
3) More usable room, holds lots of beer…uh, I mean food.
4) While RV fridges don’t use much propane, we prefer to save ours for the Blackstone and Weber.
5) It’s just plain purty.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge 1 edited.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	33602

pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:44 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Nice mod!
And I like that you followed the AIMs Integrated Inverter install.
It’s a great system for Vegas/Axis owners