Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-21-2020, 12:56 PM   #21
Junior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: JX450
State: Texas
Posts: 10
THOR #17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany 40 View Post
Check your appliance manuals, prior to connecting to a water softener. One of ours specifically recommends against. Also, CLR is magic for removing those spots and build up.

Can you please specify which appliance? Brand name etc?
__________________

__________________
2020 DRV Full House JX450
Skywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:55 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Travelin' Texans's Avatar
 
Brand: Redwood
State: Texas
Posts: 1,012
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany 40 View Post
Check your appliance manuals, prior to connecting to a water softener. One of ours specifically recommends against. Also, CLR is magic for removing those spots and build up.
Another 1st!
Which appliance?
Not sure how better quality water would harm any appliance?
__________________

__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold our '13 Thor Redwood 36 FB
Currently RV & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
Posts: 278
THOR #8139
The icemaker in our sticks and bricks Whirlpool refrigerator says NO watersofterner.
We're on a well and use lots of filters.
__________________
abjbrtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
Posts: 303
THOR #2053
I have Whirlpool in the house and RV. Just looked=neither says that. Weird

Bill
__________________
If you are afraid to speak the truth out of fear of what others may think, it says a lot about who you are and what you will settle for.
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:21 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,876
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
I have Whirlpool in the house and RV. Just looked=neither says that. Weird

Bill
Bill, what are you saying? Fake News?
__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:32 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
saddlesore's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
Posts: 650
THOR #3916
Have Splendide vented combo & a Samsung fridge in our coach.. No mention about not using add on water softeners..
Splendid Does suggest using fabric softener tho
__________________
current coach
SOB (some other brand)
former coach
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:22 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Travelin' Texans's Avatar
 
Brand: Redwood
State: Texas
Posts: 1,012
THOR #3610
LG fridge in the house & had a Norcold in the RV with ice maker neither mention anything about a water softener & both make nice clear ice cubes.
Shower doors, faucets, laundry & dishwasher all work great & no water spots with the softner in both the house & RV.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold our '13 Thor Redwood 36 FB
Currently RV & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:22 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: New Jersey
Posts: 400
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdougherty View Post
I always take care to lay the hose out in a big curve, rather than coiled up, because that will prevent excess pressure drop under flowing conditions. Use the shorter hose whenever possible.
Length, diameter, fittings/appliances and elevation affect flow rates and required pressure to meet the flow required, not curves and coils.
__________________
Thanks,
Duane

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2011 F-350
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:30 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 1,749
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthole View Post
Length, diameter, fittings/appliances and elevation affect flow rates and required pressure to meet the flow required, not curves and coils.
In closed channel flow, it takes energy to change the direction of the fluid. In close channel flow, there is always surface friction between the fluid and its container and the friction is greater when the fluid is forced to change direction. Basic ME311 (fluid mechanics) for mechanical engineers.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:11 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Travelin' Texans's Avatar
 
Brand: Redwood
State: Texas
Posts: 1,012
THOR #3610
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Another 1st!
Which appliance?
Not sure how better quality water would harm any appliance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
In closed channel flow, it takes energy to change the direction of the fluid. In close channel flow, there is always surface friction between the fluid and its container and the friction is greater when the fluid is forced to change direction. Basic ME311 (fluid mechanics) for mechanical engineers.
Yea!
That explains everything!!!!!!
__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold our '13 Thor Redwood 36 FB
Currently RV & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:13 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
Posts: 303
THOR #2053
That's exactly why I went to Electrical Engineering School instead!! We change direction 60 times every second with little to no increase in friction.

Bill
__________________
If you are afraid to speak the truth out of fear of what others may think, it says a lot about who you are and what you will settle for.
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: New Jersey
Posts: 400
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
In closed channel flow, it takes energy to change the direction of the fluid. In close channel flow, there is always surface friction between the fluid and its container and the friction is greater when the fluid is forced to change direction. Basic ME311 (fluid mechanics) for mechanical engineers.
How much more energy does it take to push 5 gpm through a 5/8" hose at 50 psi from a gentle curve to a coiled hose?
__________________
Thanks,
Duane

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2011 F-350
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 1,749
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthole View Post
How much more energy does it take to push 5 gpm through a 5/8" hose at 50 psi from a gentle curve to a coiled hose?
Assuming the interior the hose is very smooth (new) and the hose is 50 ft long and coiled into a 3 ft dia coil the total loss (5 gpm @50 psi) would be 1.343 psi at the end. Hose fittings are not calculated as they are not known.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:09 PM   #34
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
Posts: 62
THOR #15296
Not relevant to OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
That's exactly why I went to Electrical Engineering School instead!! We change direction 60 times every second with little to no increase in friction.

Bill
The smallest influence comes from the fact that the electrons have to be redirected. As the mean free path of electrons in a wire is of the order of just a few atoms, and the drift speeds more in terms of mm/s, this effect is nearly immeasurable. But the bend will heat up just a little bit more than the rest of the wire.

More severe is that sharply bending a wire will distort the material, inducing stress, and changing grain boundaries, and that will increase the resistance.

Another effect comes from the magnetic field that the current causes. Suppose you make a 180į bend, now currents are flowing opposite to each other. That will lead to a repulsive force between the wires. The electrons as a result will have a lower drift speed, so a higher resistance.

Itís all just miniature effects, but they do exist.
__________________
frankgtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:32 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 1,749
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgtx View Post
The smallest influence comes from the fact that the electrons have to be redirected. As the mean free path of electrons in a wire is of the order of just a few atoms, and the drift speeds more in terms of mm/s, this effect is nearly immeasurable. But the bend will heat up just a little bit more than the rest of the wire.

More severe is that sharply bending a wire will distort the material, inducing stress, and changing grain boundaries, and that will increase the resistance.

Another effect comes from the magnetic field that the current causes. Suppose you make a 180į bend, now currents are flowing opposite to each other. That will lead to a repulsive force between the wires. The electrons as a result will have a lower drift speed, so a higher resistance.

Itís all just miniature effects, but they do exist.
I remember my days in the high power EE lab. Big 1x3" buss bars caring 440 volt 3 phase. The whole world had a 60 cycle buzz when the prof turned the power on.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:07 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
Posts: 303
THOR #2053
Assuming the interior the hose is very smooth (new) and the hose is 50 ft long and coiled into a 3 ft dia coil the total loss (5 gpm @50 psi) would be 1.343 psi at the end. Hose fittings are not calculated as they are not known.


I'm going to suggest the pressure loss is directly related to the 50 ft. of hose and has nothing to do with the gentle curve of the hose.

Bill
__________________
If you are afraid to speak the truth out of fear of what others may think, it says a lot about who you are and what you will settle for.
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 1,749
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Assuming the interior the hose is very smooth (new) and the hose is 50 ft long and coiled into a 3 ft dia coil the total loss (5 gpm @50 psi) would be 1.343 psi at the end. Hose fittings are not calculated as they are not known.


I'm going to suggest the pressure loss is directly related to the 50 ft. of hose and has nothing to do with the gentle curve of the hose.

Bill
A rubber hose is not in the list of entering arguments, so I used a 1/2" DOM steel pipe with no fittings.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:26 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Travelin' Texans's Avatar
 
Brand: Redwood
State: Texas
Posts: 1,012
THOR #3610
Suffice to say the average rver that doesn't carry sensitive closely calibrated digital water pressure gauges WILL NOT notice the minimal pressure drop in 50' of hose whether coiled, curved or straight.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold our '13 Thor Redwood 36 FB
Currently RV & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:22 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 1,749
THOR #6411
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Suffice to say the average rver that doesn't carry sensitive closely calibrated digital water pressure gauges WILL NOT notice the minimal pressure drop in 50' of hose whether coiled, curved or straight.
Very true
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: New Jersey
Posts: 400
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Assuming the interior the hose is very smooth (new) and the hose is 50 ft long and coiled into a 3 ft dia coil the total loss (5 gpm @50 psi) would be 1.343 psi at the end. Hose fittings are not calculated as they are not known.
That did not answer the question.

All pipe, hose etc has some amount of friction loss whether fluid or gas.
And as far as RV'ing goes - a gentle curve versus coiled hose is an immeasurable difference.

And 'coiled' as in not wrapped on a reel where the inner wraps may very well be collapsed some.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
A rubber hose is not in the list of entering arguments, so I used a 1/2" DOM steel pipe with no fittings.
Guess I should have read further down the thread.
__________________

__________________
Thanks,
Duane

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2011 F-350
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×