Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2022, 09:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Delano 24RW
State: Virginia
THOR #26271
Entry door issue

Have u experienced the entry door on a Thor Delano having locking difficulty?. We can not open the door from the outside.
I am also not able to keep the door open and utilize the screen door at all.

The inadequate door support will not hold the door in place in even a light breeze. The support has bent the threshold and the door jam.
The manufacturer should stop the installation of this entry system. They should allow the door to swing all the way back to the side of the coach and be held in place . Thor decided to install a awning window next to the door . So that useful feature can not be used. The door will rest against the glass of the awning window and break the glass. The window can not be opened at all.
They should and still can offer a solution of this poor design that is currently used.

Allow the door to lock in place to the side of the coach . And replace the awning window to a slider that will not interfere with the swing of the door.

A simple solution to a design flaw.

Comments ,suggestions ?

Old 05-01-2022, 01:22 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Take the coach in for warranty repair.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:02 PM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #26049
entry door issue

We're having the same problem on our 2022 Delano. The door lock was sticky but now won't open from the outside at all.
We have to once again take it to a dealer. I've never seen such an expensive item with so many problems.
Today, the check engine light came on, so now it has to go to Mercedes, as well.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:17 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbram717 View Post
We're having the same problem on our 2022 Delano. The door lock was sticky but now won't open from the outside at all.
We have to once again take it to a dealer. I've never seen such an expensive item with so many problems.
Today, the check engine light came on, so now it has to go to Mercedes, as well.
You only cited two problems. Are you gonna have it towed to Dealer, break glass or break the door to get inside?

As many times as I have seen the dreaded Check Engine light, I can never recall taking it in to Dealer to check the Check engine light code even when under warranty. But even so, is it back thing to have two faults that are actually under warranty.

FWIW, that door sounds like a real issue, if it is what you say, then the dealer can't fix, they will just make it like it was designed and it will happen again if you believe it is a design flaw.

With that out of the way, I will offer up a theory. Check your door key? I know it sounds funny but I have seen some keys for some common compartments and doors be the same across of number of the Mfg vehicles, so the Dealer can use the same keys to show off units. Your key may have not been a brand new key when you picked it up, and if it is worn; it will not open doors open compartments. I noticed that on my coach, never said a word to dealer or mfg, just ordered two brand new OEM keys for $20 buck and problem solved.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:55 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Take the coach in for warranty repair.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1651668904
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	53
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	37282  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 01:09 PM   #6

THOR #26049
Entry door issue

Today, the bottom of the two locks on the entry door is working; the top still is not.
We're headed on a trip and may just cross our fingers that it continues to operate properly. We can always get in through the cab, so we won't be completely locked out. But it's another in a growing list of smallish but aggravating problems with this Thor Delano. All warranty issues, but this vehicle is less than four months old. It 's health seems precarious.
And, we are going to have to drive three hours to get to a Mercedes dealer with a service opening this week to look at the check engine light issue. Closer dealers don't have Sprinter van service openings until late June, even late July for some.
Silver lining is the stop isn't completely out of our way but means we have to leave earlier than planned.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:43 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Today, the bottom of the two locks on the entry door is working; the top still is not.
We're headed on a trip and may just cross our fingers that it continues to operate properly. We can always get in through the cab, so we won't be completely locked out. But it's another in a growing list of smallish but aggravating problems with this Thor Delano. All warranty issues, but this vehicle is less than four months old. It 's health seems precarious.
And, we are going to have to drive three hours to get to a Mercedes dealer with a service opening this week to look at the check engine light issue. Closer dealers don't have Sprinter van service openings until late June, even late July for some.
Silver lining is the stop isn't completely out of our way but means we have to leave earlier than planned.
Wouldn't the side van door also be a Mercedes warranty issue?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:41 PM   #8

THOR #26049
entry door issue

No, the side entry door is part of the RV box. The Mercedes part is basically just the cab and engine.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:14 PM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Your lock is a handyman type fix and going to a dealer will not buy you any expertise.

Figure out what 3 hours travel to a place you don't want to be, then in a waiting room for any time from 4 hours to 2 days you don't want to be in, is worth to you and then decide whether to have a local-to-you handyman come to your home and fix it in 15minutes. He can then spend the balance of his minimum billing time to fix the other things.

A warranty is for YOUR benefit.
If it becomes a detriment due to time or distance, disregard the warranty as a nuisance when it is indeed a nuisance.

Do NOT be entangled in the
'Free'
Aspect of it all.

I doubt that lock, per your description, is any problem a file and 5 minutes can't fix.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:23 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
No, the side entry door is part of the RV box. The Mercedes part is basically just the cab and engine.
Gotcha! So you have a standard RV door on a Class C (Not a Class B sliding van door). Seems like a simple lock/latch adjustment should resolve that door issue.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:31 PM   #11

THOR #26049
entry door issue

No, no, I'm not going to a dealer for the lock issue. We'll live with it and fix it ourselves if it fails utterly. There is def a problem with it, though.
A closer read will remind that I have also have a check engine light on that needs evaluation. That requires a visit to the Mercedes dealer. Trouble is, none in my neck of the woods have any Sprinter van appointments available until late June (earliest) or late July/early August. I did find one for next week 3-hours away. So, away we go!
Old 05-04-2022, 09:40 PM   #12

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
A $12 obd2 reader bought on Amazon, and a free app called
Torque
Will tell you what that check engine light is and potentially turn it off without affecting your warranty.
It's a handy tool to have and will also tell you.
dte
Eta
Fuel mileage
Gph
Top speed
Avg speed
Throttle position
50 other things
And
Overlay a map of your trip onto google earth
All while working as a dash cam with your phone or tablet

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:13 AM   #13

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
A $12 obd2 reader bought on Amazon, and a free app called
Torque
Will tell you what that check engine light is and potentially turn it off without affecting your warranty.
It's a handy tool to have and will also tell you.
dte
Eta
Fuel mileage
Gph
Top speed
Avg speed
Throttle position
50 other things
And
Overlay a map of your trip onto google earth
All while working as a dash cam with your phone or tablet
Or is the $12 is out of budget, you can pull up at most any Auto Parts store. They will read your Check Engine Light's diagnostic code for free.

I may need something new but I have had for years a Bluetooth device that works on my phone made by JDiag (FasLink). I can only think of once when I had a real issue and my Chevy Cruze was out of warranty, but Chevy stepped up and took care of it under warranty It was something pretty serious as my normal Auto Repair shop advised me to check with the Chevy Dealership before he did the repairs.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 06:24 PM   #14

Model: Citation 24ST
State: Washington
THOR #10271
Check engine light

Quote:
You can get the engine light check done at most auto parts stores, I use O’Riellys. They have a computer to hook into the receptacle under the steering wheel and will do it for you or let you do it youreself. No need to go to dealer.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:31 PM   #15

Model: 24fe
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20046
Quote:
No, no, I'm not going to a dealer for the lock issue. We'll live with it and fix it ourselves if it fails utterly. There is def a problem with it, though.
A closer read will remind that I have also have a check engine light on that needs evaluation. That requires a visit to the Mercedes dealer. Trouble is, none in my neck of the woods have any Sprinter van appointments available until late June (earliest) or late July/early August. I did find one for next week 3-hours away. So, away we go!
Long shot: If you disconnected the chassis battery with the connector near the accelerator and didn't wait 5 to 10 minutes to do so until after the engine was shut down, the check engine light will remain on for a number of cycles. However, it will eventually turn off by itself. The aforementioned code reader will also allow you to erase the code. I mention this because it would be a shame to travel that distance for such a simple thing.