Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #61
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
LOL! That is my Sunguard RV cover.
It uses velcro or snaps to stay up.

Also available is the Magnashade RV cover which is held up with magnets--and looks like it is a lot easier to put on. (I would have probably got that one had I known about it before I got the Sunguard.)

Here is the view from the inside in full daylight when its on:

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:43 PM   #62

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by leshunter View Post
My new Axis 24.1 has arrived and was delighted it is a 2017 model Axis on a 2016 Chasis. A couple of changes but I like. I will be taking delivery in a week.
Les, i talked to Joy at Tri-County today and they have a 2017 24.1 that has just come in. They also have a 2014 coming in on trade i will be getting information on. She said Ford and Thor raise prices every year so she didn't know if your price would be available again. We'll see. Do they do their own finance arrangements there if you know? The one they sent me pictures on looks identical to your's. I'm also wondering if you looked at the 25.1 before you bought. It seems like it would be nice to have a back bedroom which could be converted from a couch back to a bed, but maybe if you've seen one you could comment. I've only been in the 24.1 and the 25.2 with the bedroom slide out.
Any advice you would like to pass on would be appreciated. This is a big ticket expense for a guy with a conservative background as mine. Plus, I've never bought an RV before. If the 2014 model is cherry i'm definitely going to give it thought. I'm not sure how many major changes have been made since then. I know they have gone from 350 to 450 and the tranny has had a major upgrade with that 6 speed. Other than that I don't know. I could probably get a heck of deal on the used one. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:45 PM   #63

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by leshunter View Post
My new Axis 24.1 has arrived and was delighted it is a 2017 model Axis on a 2016 Chasis. A couple of changes but I like. I will be taking delivery in a week.
If you're taking delivery next week, i was thinking she sent me pictures of the one you're buying. LOL
Old 04-22-2016, 12:40 AM   #64

Model: 2016 Vegas 24.1 on E450
State: Tennessee
THOR #2361
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Razor,
With your E450 equipped Vegas you could easily pull that Roo around and have room for the whole extended family! LOL
Noooooo!
Old 04-22-2016, 01:27 AM   #65

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod'sMom View Post
Dave,
I have years of experience doing the country in small RVs for up to 4 months at a time. It is great and some RV resorts would be great for you Some have perks such as golf and most have a pool and activities. Of course the more perks and the nicer the park the more it costs. However, you are not going to be able to pull into new BBQ and the like with small parking lots. I have but only after carefully considering where I would be able to park and how I was going to get out. Other than that it is a comfortable way to travel. Has nothing in common with Boy Scout camping. Perhaps you should visit some local campgrounds and check out the lifestyle.
Your comments are a big help. When you talk about RV Parks, are you talking about HOA parks too. LOL. The reason i'm laughing is, where i live which is between Grand Junction Colorado and Glenwood Springs there is an HOA next to the Colorado River just off I-70. I drive that stretch every week going into Glenwood Springs. I was thinking last Sunday, "why would anyone put a camper out in that field." It's not really a pretty spot right next to huge traffic. That's the sort of thing that comes to mind when i think about RV parks, but I'm sure you are talking about more secluded spots. But hey, i appreciate you taking the time to give me your opinions.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:16 AM   #66
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
Your comments are a big help. When you talk about RV Parks, are you talking about HOA parks too. LOL. The reason i'm laughing is, where i live which is between Grand Junction Colorado and Glenwood Springs there is an HOA next to the Colorado River just off I-70. I drive that stretch every week going into Glenwood Springs. I was thinking last Sunday, "why would anyone put a camper out in that field." It's not really a pretty spot right next to huge traffic. That's the sort of thing that comes to mind when i think about RV parks, but I'm sure you are talking about more secluded spots. But hey, i appreciate you taking the time to give me your opinions.
Ha !! T ! We know that KOA at Glenwood Springs..if that is the one you are talking about...we stayed there...headed home..dead tired...the only upside to that location is that it was near the river !! and the park had the hookups we needed. So...there are, definately, places a person stops out of need. When you are planning a trip..and it sounds like you are getting closer...you will look at maps...go to RV Campground Review, etc...and try to make a good decision as to where you want to stay a day or more ! and...you will be able to find a few places to play a round or two !!
I was beginning to wonder if you were ever going to make the decision to do this...sounds like you are feeling better about the RV experience !
Good luck with your decision !

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:30 AM   #67

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Ha !! T ! We know that KOA at Glenwood Springs..if that is the one you are talking about...we stayed there...headed home..dead tired...the only upside to that location is that it was near the river !! and the park had the hookups we needed. So...there are, definately, places a person stops out of need. When you are planning a trip..and it sounds like you are getting closer...you will look at maps...go to RV Campground Review, etc...and try to make a good decision as to where you want to stay a day or more ! and...you will be able to find a few places to play a round or two !!
I was beginning to wonder if you were ever going to make the decision to do this...sounds like you are feeling better about the RV experience !
Good luck with your decision !

K
K, I am getting closer, and what may tip me over is that a dealer who is known to be fair has a 2014 24.1 coming in, and if it's clean and doesn't have 50,000 miles on it already i may go that route just to keep the entry fee down to a number that i can live with-good or bad. My friends are going crazy listening to my stories about buying an RV. It's only been 2 years since i've been looking into it. I get stuck on the total price of the deal when you consider the purchase price and then all the other costs that go into it like taxes, storage, gas, rv nightly costs ect. I just haven't decided if i want to do it bad enough i guess. It seems to me most people are either dead sure the life style is perfect and do it all the time, or they are first timers like me and don't know if the outlay is right for them. I do know there are a bunch of new people doing it because why else would a 30 year old Airstream cost more than it sold for new? So maybe the used 24.1 will be a way to mitigate the mental stress and get the strain with my friends over with. I'll take them all out for a drink for listening to me for 2 years.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:04 AM   #68
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
K, I am getting closer, and what may tip me over is that a dealer who is known to be fair has a 2014 24.1 coming in, and if it's clean and doesn't have 50,000 miles on it already i may go that route just to keep the entry fee down to a number that i can live with-good or bad. My friends are going crazy listening to my stories about buying an RV. It's only been 2 years since i've been looking into it. I get stuck on the total price of the deal when you consider the purchase price and then all the other costs that go into it like taxes, storage, gas, rv nightly costs ect. I just haven't decided if i want to do it bad enough i guess. It seems to me most people are either dead sure the life style is perfect and do it all the time, or they are first timers like me and don't know if the outlay is right for them. I do know there are a bunch of new people doing it because why else would a 30 year old Airstream cost more than it sold for new? So maybe the used 24.1 will be a way to mitigate the mental stress and get the strain with my friends over with. I'll take them all out for a drink for listening to me for 2 years.
T you have the right attitude ! I was worried about you for a while !
Just to put things in perspective...our first motorhome in 1999, was a 21' Coachmen Starflyte..no slide..65000 miles...bought it from a lady whose husband had passed away..they loved that thing and it showed. We paid 20k for it and loved it...on the Ford 350 Chassis V-10..it is a beast of a motor.
After a few years and many happy trips, we wanted a little bigger..so we shopped for a year and went up to a 25' Dorado w/2 slides..loved it but Ron wanted a toyhauler..so we did that and didnt like pulling a trailer at all !!
So, we made the final huge purchase of our lives in this 2016 Axis. We love it and have not made a long trip yet ! So there ya go !
Only get what you are comfortable with. I know there are many folks on this forum who have the 2014, the first year of the Axis/Vegas .. there have been improvements made...but, if you can get a deal you are comfortable with..and the unit is in good repair...know that that Ford Chassis and motor are strong points...and if the previous owner took good care of it, it should go many miles !
K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-22-2016, 04:27 AM   #69

THOR #1067
Quote:
T you have the right attitude ! I was worried about you for a while !
Just to put things in perspective...our first motorhome in 1999, was a 21' Coachmen Starflyte..no slide..65000 miles...bought it from a lady whose husband had passed away..they loved that thing and it showed. We paid 20k for it and loved it...on the Ford 350 Chassis V-10..it is a beast of a motor.
After a few years and many happy trips, we wanted a little bigger..so we shopped for a year and went up to a 25' Dorado w/2 slides..loved it but Ron wanted a toyhauler..so we did that and didnt like pulling a trailer at all !!
So, we made the final huge purchase of our lives in this 2016 Axis. We love it and have not made a long trip yet ! So there ya go !
Only get what you are comfortable with. I know there are many folks on this forum who have the 2014, the first year of the Axis/Vegas .. there have been improvements made...but, if you can get a deal you are comfortable with..and the unit is in good repair...know that that Ford Chassis and motor are strong points...and if the previous owner took good care of it, it should go many miles !
K

K,

Worried about it? It what way? lol, just kidding. I'm worried about myself, skipping around the rv world trying to figure out what is best for me. But the Thor Axis sort of makes it easier i think. The perfect solution for a single person wanting a solid MH small enough to travel without a toad. By the way have you folks traveled into the back woods of the Utah area? The Grand Staircase or the Escalante? Wow, you can really get lost over in there in a hurry. Not being an RV expert or anything but being a Western Colorado resident, , i could not offer anything in that regard, but boy i've traveled a bunch on Hiway 191 going south out of Moab, UTAH. And boy is there is some pretty country out there for people in RVs. That would be one of the first places i would try out the RV lifestyle when things come together. Prolly a bunch of dry camping if your into it. I have a friend in Moab who has made a living just photographing the landscape out there.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:52 AM   #70
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah most KOA's are very close to the freeways. They are like rest area's with hookups (which by the way: If you are going down the Ohio turnpike and need to stop..their service plaza's have some really nice camper areas with hookups!).

This is why KOA added a new designation to their campgrounds: Journey, Holiday, and Resort. The campgrounds labelled as "Journey" are near freeways; which typically you'd stop at overnight. Holiday and Resort campgrounds have more features/activities, are father from freeways, and are someplace you may want to stay at more than a night.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #71
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yeah most KOA's are very close to the freeways. They are like rest area's with hookups (which by the way: If you are going down the Ohio turnpike and need to stop..their service plaza's have some really nice camper areas with hookups!).

This is why KOA added a new designation to their campgrounds: Journey, Holiday, and Resort. The campgrounds labelled as "Journey" are near freeways; which typically you'd stop at overnight. Holiday and Resort campgrounds have more features/activities, are father from freeways, and are someplace you may want to stay at more than a night.
Jamie ! good to know in regards to the KOA designation ! I had not noticed that . One of our favorite KOA's is in LaJunta, CO ... on the way to the Rockies ! We plan our trip to stay our first night out, there, and have breakfast at the Copper Kettle in the morning!
KOA in Page, AZ is nice too ! Buena Vista, CO in addition (very sandy area)!!
KOA does serve a good purpose and have no poor reports.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #72
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
K,

Worried about it? It what way? lol, just kidding. I'm worried about myself, skipping around the rv world trying to figure out what is best for me. But the Thor Axis sort of makes it easier i think. The perfect solution for a single person wanting a solid MH small enough to travel without a toad. By the way have you folks traveled into the back woods of the Utah area? The Grand Staircase or the Escalante? Wow, you can really get lost over in there in a hurry. Not being an RV expert or anything but being a Western Colorado resident, , i could not offer anything in that regard, but boy i've traveled a bunch on Hiway 191 going south out of Moab, UTAH. And boy is there is some pretty country out there for people in RVs. That would be one of the first places i would try out the RV lifestyle when things come together. Prolly a bunch of dry camping if your into it. I have a friend in Moab who has made a living just photographing the landscape out there.
T ! ...well let's say concerned...no more !
Regarding Utah...YES !! we have ventured all over Utah..Moab, twice..drive and walked the whole area and have sooo many beautiful photos. My bucket list is to visit in the winter with snow on the ground. I have seen 'snow' photos of the arches and want to shoot snow-covered arches myself !
Canyonlands/Glen Canyon is beautiful as well.
We have been to Lake Powell, water level was low...we want to return..get a jet ski or small boat and explore the slot canyons and again, photograph.
Bryce, Zion...of the 2...Bryce is my favorite...we stayed there 3 days...did so much exploring ! Escalante and Grand staircase ... we were going to visit, but had to abort, as we had a brake problem ... note..remember to use transmission to slow down when stopping at every turn in the road to take photos !! (note to newbie..seasoned rv'ers even make mistakes...use transmission to brake/slow on steep grades)

So, we still have some Utah homework to do and look forward to that...those areas may be on our itinerary this year.

Remember the NorthEast corner of Arizona too ! Awesome ! and SouthWest Corner of Colorado...Mesa Verde, etc. Around Las Vegas is beautiful country as well. Let's not leave out NM .. some interesting and beautiful area.
and....that is just for starters...

Soooo much to see...sooo little time !

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-22-2016, 09:30 PM   #73

THOR #1067
Quote:
Regarding Utah...YES !! we have ventured all over Utah..Moab, twice..drive and walked the whole area and have sooo many beautiful photos. My bucket list is to visit in the winter with snow on the ground. I have seen 'snow' photos of the arches and want to shoot snow-covered arches myself !
We have been to Lake Powell, water level was low...we want to return..get a jet ski or small boat and explore the slot canyons and again, photograph.
Bryce, Zion...of the 2...Bryce is my favorite...we stayed there 3 days...did so much exploring ! Escalante and Grand staircase ... we were going to visit, but had to abort, as we had a brake problem ... note..remember to use transmission to slow down when stopping at every turn in the road to take photos !! (note to newbie..seasoned rv'ers even make mistakes...use transmission to brake/slow on steep grades)

So, we still have some Utah homework to do and look forward to that...those areas may be on our itinerary this year.

Remember the NorthEast corner of Arizona too ! Awesome ! and SouthWest Corner of Colorado...Mesa Verde, etc. Around Las Vegas is beautiful country as well. Let's not leave out NM .. some interesting and beautiful area.

K
Sounds like you've done a lot of exploring in Utah. I'm not sure many people who haven't been the those areas you mentioned realize how big an area we're talking about here. And how remote it is. From Moab, Utah going west on 1-70 to 1-15 which runs north and south out of Salt Lake toward Arizona is about 200 miles i would say. All of the area south of that line can be called the Canyon Lands i guess. You can drive along 70 and look to the south and see nothing but CanyonLands for several hours. I'll bet there are areas out there where even the Indians haven't been yet who were there a 1,000 years ago. Several years ago, there was a outdoorsman who went alone into a remote slot canyon in there and somehow got his arm stuck. After 4 days of waiting for someone to come along to help ended up using his pocket knife to cut his arm off or starve to death. True story. He lived to tell the story. Lives in Boulder Colorado now i think. doesn't do much alone hiking in Utah anymore.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:45 PM   #74
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Sounds like you've done a lot of exploring in Utah. I'm not sure many people who haven't been the those areas you mentioned realize how big an area we're talking about here. And how remote it is. From Moab, Utah going west on 1-70 to 1-15 which runs north and south out of Salt Lake toward Arizona is about 200 miles i would say. All of the area south of that line can be called the Canyon Lands i guess. You can drive along 70 and look to the south and see nothing but CanyonLands for several hours. I'll bet there are areas out there where even the Indians haven't been yet who were there a 1,000 years ago. Several years ago, there was a outdoorsman who went alone into a remote slot canyon in there and somehow got his arm stuck. After 4 days of waiting for someone to come along to help ended up using his pocket knife to cut his arm off or starve to death. True story. He lived to tell the story. Lives in Boulder Colorado now i think. doesn't do much alone hiking in Utah anymore.
Crazy, yet believable story !
Regarding I70 Utah, east/west or visa versa...beautiful territory...and some nice turnoffs to view the canyons. Having grown up in NM, we gravitate to the SouthWest and NorthWest...would like to travel the west coast from Seattle, down to about Pebble Beach...and New England States, know in our travels East..there are many beautiful sights to see...
Do it while you are young !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-22-2016, 09:46 PM   #75

THOR #1067
Quote:

K
I-70 inside the reef: the San Rafael Swell, Utah
Old 04-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #76

THOR #1067
Quote:
Just for the heck of it, I put up a link to a picture of the area specifically The San Rafael Swell which is in the area of Green River and Bryce. It's so awe inspiring that the picture here doesn't even do it justice.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #77

THOR #1067
Quote:
Crazy, yet believable story !
Regarding I70 Utah, east/west or visa versa...beautiful territory...and some nice turnoffs to view the canyons. Having grown up in NM, we gravitate to the SouthWest and NorthWest...would like to travel the west coast from Seattle, down to about Pebble Beach...and New England States, know in our travels East..there are many beautiful sights to see...
Do it while you are young !!
That drive down the west coast of California is cool. I lived in San Francisco in the late late 1960's right out of college and traveled it. Highway 1. The beach camping you could do for 10 years and never stop at an ugly beach. Bolinas Beach just above the Golden Gate Bridge area. Unreal. Some of the best "foodie" stops in the US. California Cuisine. Redwood Forest. Gold mining camps up north. Hippie camps. Everything. This is why i'm jonsing for the MH i guess.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:07 PM   #78
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Just for the heck of it, I put up a link to a picture of the area specifically The San Rafael Swell which is in the area of Green River and Bryce. It's so awe inspiring that the picture here doesn't even do it justice.
WE DROVE THROUGH THAT AREA ! I checked the map to make sure I remembered correctly...We came up from Bryce on 89 and then east on I70 through all that great country. It is beautiful and I have some of my
I70 at 70 mph photos !! along with many, from the pulloff areas !
On that trip, we were going to take 24 from Bryce over to I70 and catch all the beauty in between. Had to make the change of plans.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-22-2016, 10:23 PM   #79

THOR #1067
Quote:
WE DROVE THROUGH THAT AREA ! I checked the map to make sure I remembered correctly...We came up from Bryce on 89 and then east on I70 through all that great country. It is beautiful and I have some of my
I70 at 70 mph photos !! along with many, from the pulloff areas !
On that trip, we were going to take 24 from Bryce over to I70 and catch all the beauty in between. Had to make the change of plans.

The neat thing is that 99.9% of the visitors to this area come in the summer when the kids are out of school, so if you can do it in September or October even November after everybody leaves, you could have the whole place to yourself. Even the guards to the Parks leave while the leavin's good. LOL Which would make me creeped out a little bit because you'd sort of like to think you weren't COMPLETELY alone out there. You know, in case you ran out of Spam or something. But it is beautiful beyond description really. And Moab? don't even think about taking a camper near Moab in the summer. It's the off road rock crawling mecca of the EARTH between June 1st and September 1st.
BUT, if you are traveling west on 1-70 and want to stop in Moab during the off months which is after September, go in the back way at the Cisco Exit and drive through Castle Valley which meanders along the Colorado River and ends up in Moab. Stark Beauty like you find in John Wayne film. Matter of fact i think they filmed one of his movies in there. Sorry about this travel log. I live out here and love it.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:36 PM   #80
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
The neat thing is that 99.9% of the visitors to this area come in the summer when the kids are out of school, so if you can do it in September or October even November after everybody leaves, you could have the whole place to yourself. Even the guards to the Parks leave while the leavin's good. LOL Which would make me creeped out a little bit because you'd sort of like to think you weren't COMPLETELY alone out there. You know, in case you ran out of Spam or something. But it is beautiful beyond description really. And Moab? don't even think about taking a camper near Moab in the summer. It's the off road rock crawling mecca of the EARTH between June 1st and September 1st.
BUT, if you are traveling west on 1-70 and want to stop in Moab during the off months which is after September, go in the back way at the Cisco Exit and drive through Castle Valley which meanders along the Colorado River and ends up in Moab. Stark Beauty like you find in John Wayne film. Matter of fact i think they filmed one of his movies in there. Sorry about this travel log. I live out here and love it.
agree...for anyone else reading our travel log of Utah...Moab is driveable in a motorhome...but, to see the real beauty...you must be ready to walk ALOT !
AROUND EVERY TURN IS ANOTHER BREATH TAKING VIEW !
Jeep Wrangler TJ