Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2019, 02:31 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Delaware
THOR #9488
Aria 3401 first year experience

I sent an email with the list of items below to Thor hoping it would help them make some quality improvements. They never even acknowledged the email. I guess they don't care. Here is our list of issues from year one....maybe this is normal?

2018 Thor Aria 3401
4UZAB2FC7JCJP4901
Issues since new delivery
  • Front shade not working, had to be replaced. Replacement installed wrong, had to make second trip to dealer for service.
  • Driver side shade assembly fell from ceiling while driving, I had to perform repair.
  • Driver side cab fan fell from ceiling while driving, I had to perform repair.
  • Passenger side mirror came loose while driving, I had to perform repair.
  • Headlight bezels were missing retaining nuts and washers, I had to perform repairs.
  • Steering wheel not centered
  • Inside step not functioning
  • Refrigerator came out of cabinet enclosure while driving, I had to perform temporary repair. Dealer had to perform major repair of cabinets and attach properly.
  • Ground fault outlets in bathroom and kitchen did not function properly. Had to be replaced an rewired so downstream outlets would function.
  • Frame around mirror in dinette separated and had to be replaced.
  • Shower faucet leak, had to be replaced
  • Bed room slide came apart and would not function
  • Bed tilt mechanism had to be replaced.
  • Passenger side window leak.
  • Sliding door and drawer latches broken.
  • Hot water heater failed. I had to troubleshoot and replace control board
  • One of the connections on hot water heater leaking, I had to repair.
  • Cracked fan blade on roof a/c unit. Someone before delivery had attempted a repair and did not replace all the cover screws.
  • Ladder attach at roof, screws pulled out.
  • Furnace fan making loud noise, still not resolved.
  • House batteries will not hold charge, suspect they were drained to dead at one point.
  • Solar panel controller wired wrong, I had to repair.
  • TV antenna did not work, had to be replaced.
  • Anderson valve failed. I had to troubleshoot. Replaced cartridge and water pump which did not fix problem. Had to rig a workaround to salvage recent trip. Also discovered connections were installed wrong at factory. Thor is providing a replacement.
  • Front dash panel warped, had to be replaced
  • Passenger side slide controller failed, I had to trouble shoot and replace.
  • Water getting into two storage compartments, still unresolved.
  • Dash stereo defective – had to be replaced along with forward speakers
  • Dealer issues: The service department at Dylan’s RV was horrible.
    • Multiple trips for same repair
    • After last visit several items were missing from coach
      • Gas cylinder on cargo door
      • Water filter housing
      • Personal tools
      • Touch up paint
    • Short fill on generator oil change

Old 06-05-2019, 08:17 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3401
State: Arkansas
THOR #12542
Your list is a bit longer than ours for our 2018 Aria 3401, but similar in nature and some of the items match.

I think that this is typical for an industry that can sell units as fast as they can build them.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:32 PM   #3

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
Wow, a long list. I think I would have traded your list for my 2015 Thor Tuscany DX40 problems! Dealer refused to work on the most difficult problem
(microwave door hitting fridge wall) so I decided to do it all myself. No confidence in Camping World to fix anything. Since last summer when I finally got my Aquahot fixed (intermittent spark coil for $500) most everything is working fine now. Uneventful 3 months in Quartzsite last winter. Wife wouldn't part with the coach now!
Old 06-06-2019, 01:28 AM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Long but all typical stuff and mostly easy to fix. Sure you shouldn’t have to but there it is. And as you’ve found it’s often easier and faster to just fix it yourself. But hopefully you’ll get past all of it and have lots of good years.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:09 AM   #5

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
A lot of the same issues we had in our first year in our 3901. But, happily, for the last 9-12 months we have been just using and enjoying it. Not spending any time fixing it.
Mike
Old 02-06-2020, 10:10 PM   #6

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #18009
Long list on our 2019 aria 3901. Called thor direct. They came and got it a couple of weeks ago. Said everything was fixed and would be returning it soon. Very nice people to deal with. Skip the dealers. Hope everything is fixed. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190219-003023.jpeg
Views:	236
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	22477
Old 02-20-2021, 01:07 AM   #7

State: Washington
THOR #22245
So we are coming from 30 year of boating. We are close to closing on a 2021 Aria 3401 and from your post and others on other brands: I am more nervous about getting a new one. Other than Renegade it seems that the manufactures don't give a **(& about initial quality. Your list for a $20,000 Chevy is too long let alone the cost of a coach.
I came here hoping to hear good things but the bad will have me looking more closely before giving an offer.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:30 AM   #8

Model: Aria
State: New Jersey
THOR #17864
We had owned two Class C RVs for over 12 years (one was a Thor). Both rigs were very god - few problems at all.

We took the big step up (for us) to a Thor Class A Miramar (34 ft diesel) with a new 2020. Other than the shade pull down bars coming loose (crazy glue fix) EVERTHING worked fine. We put 15K miles on that and knew we were hooked on Class A's so now wanted a diesel.

We wanted to get in a cheap as possible and in late 2020 we found a new Thor 2019 Aria sitting at dealer in Orlando. We had a local private inspector take a look and it passed all the major tests. We left the lot with a few items that they owed us to fix - all but two (mirror movement and cruise control) were cosmetic.

The biggest cosmetic issue was the wearing of the upholstery that is a known Thor (and industry issue) issue. They are fixing that, but we are not sure if we are getting the same old crappy stuff or hopefully the better stuff. If it’s the defective stuff, we figured the money we saved will go towards new furniture in a few years.

Anyway, we have put over 12K on it so far and all major systems - slides, plumbing, electric, heating, cooling, etc. have been fine.

The most exceptional part for us - and it might be because we have had gas RV's for some many years - is the air suspension ride and the diesel engine in the back. It is so easy to handle and it is so quiet. I believe that the “Atlas Foundation” that is the frame that the entire MH is built on is a big reason why the ride is so good.

Like it is said so many times here, all RV’s have some issues, but most get fixed and once you get them done the experience gets better really fast.

Having owned a few, I don’t think that Thor is any better or worse than others. It’s always taken about 6 months or so for me to shake out and “trust” any rig. After that its downhill.
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Newf026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:04 AM   #9

State: Washington
THOR #22245
well, we did a close look and did buy a 2021 Aria 3401. Only a couple minor issues and Thor customer service was AWESOME and is working with the dealer to make sure the work is do right.