Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #9237
DC Metro and Montana Registration/Title (Tax Avoidance?)

I always see it advertised in my magazines, rv shows, etc, but seems there must be an illegal component to this. I'm assuming if you knowingly avoid paying taxes, you can be fined but what I don't understand is how it's still being done. What am I missing?

Also, for those who pay yearly personal property taxes on their cars/RV, it seems if I garage the rv in a county that does NOT have personal property tax, I can avoid this large extra cost. I have read the Virginia rules, and if I'm reading correctly, any vehicle over 10,000 lbs won't be taxed yearly if garaged in a non tax county. I'm sure this can always change, but for now, Prince William County in VA does not have this tax. Anyone else doing this?

Old 04-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #2

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
Can't address your particular situation, but just google 'Montana LLC RV registration' or some such and you will get tons of info on that tax angle.
Big difference between 'avoid' and 'evade' paying taxes--sometimes worth the effort and sometimes not.
So how do you arrange a 'garage' in a non-tax county? Maybe store it there and then balance the storage fees/inconvenience of distance against the taxes?
Just how bad a hit are you talking about?
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #3

THOR #9237
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
So how do you arrange a 'garage' in a non-tax county? Maybe store it there and then balance the storage fees/inconvenience of distance against the taxes?
Just how bad a hit are you talking about?
There are rv/boat storage sites in non tax counties. It seems they are about 20 miles from my home and cost about $100 per month. My tax, if not storing it there, is approximately $3000 per year. That is based on an assessed value of $70k rv and tax rate of $4.20 per $100. That's on top of the 3% tax when purchasing....kinda crazy!
Old 04-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #4

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
That, indeed, is a punishing tax/fee. For 20 mile trip, sounds like the thing to do, unless there is a 'devil in the details' of your local taxing office---need to thoroughly look at what they say about doing what you want to do. Seems like everyone would do it, and locals would figure out how to shut it down.
I think a Montana LLC would be hard to get away with from your situation, and MT has now begun adding a 'fee' on high-dollar RVs--not sure what the minimum figure is, but it exists.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:07 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
I don't know how well they do at but FL supposedly checks for RV's titled in MT and the owners living in FL.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:18 PM   #6

Model: FourWinds SK 35
THOR #4706
All you need to do is register the rv in prince William co.the county will bill you each 25.00 for registration they don’t ask for a Pw address just mailing address. Sometimes finance won’t do that but it’s easy to change just go to dmv they will change registration I think cost about 10.00 hope this helps
Old 05-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #7
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
I don't know how well they do at but FL supposedly checks for RV's titled in MT and the owners living in FL.
That doesn’t make sense we don’t pay that property tax in Fl.

Kev
Old 05-05-2018, 07:46 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
That doesn’t make sense we don’t pay that property tax in Fl.

Kev
Eggzactly! Another Internet rumor bites the dust.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 26B
THOR #9566
I have my motorhome registered and garaged in Prince William County, just happens I live there as well, and you are correct, there are no Personal Property taxes for RVs and Watercraft in Prince William County. The rate is $.00001 per $100 value.

I think it is Holly Acres in Woodbridge/Dale City that is always advertising their Prince William County storage at the RV and boat shows.

dave