Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2019, 06:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Washington
THOR #15194
Hot water bypass for winterization

This coach gets more confusing everyday. A.C.E. 30.3. Seems it doesn't compute to what Thor says it is. I see no way to bypass the hotwater heater in this rig. It does have a fresh water drain where the sewer dump is but I can't find anything anywhere near where the water heater is to drain it for winter storage. I still haven't hear from them on the DRL replacement lights either, so am beginning to think they DON'T CARE

Old 07-20-2019, 07:13 PM   #2

Model: Ace 27.7
State: Indiana
THOR #15856
I think your looking at the water heater from the outside of the rv. You need to look at it from inside the rv. There are many rv water heater videos on you tube.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:20 PM   #3

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Take the outside cover off of the water heater. The hex plug found there is the drain. It may actually a anode rod if it is a Suburban Heater. If it is a plastic plug you do not have an anode. That still does not solve your by pass location problem.

Bill
Old 07-20-2019, 07:24 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Not familiar with the ACE. I have a 2015 Vegas; but that said, they are all pretty much the same system-wise. Here is a picture of my hot water heater (yours is probably pretty much the same. Look down and toward the left and you'll see a plug with a green colored X on it. That plug is the plug to drain the water heater tank.

Your water heater bypass valves should be on the opposite side of the water heater somewhere inside your RV -- behind a panel in the hallway, or in a cabinet, or under a sofa. Maybe an ACE owner will chime in to tell you where the bypass valves are.

In 2015 I compiled an owners' manual for the Vegas/Axis. I posted a link on the forum to share with other owners. So far about 2300 people have downloaded the manual and its been viewed by over 18000 owners. Here is a link where you can download the manual. Although it's not specific to an ACE, many of your systems are the same as on the Vegas. There is a winterization checklist you might find relevant. It doesn't show the location of your bypass valves or low point drains; however, the procedures will be the same once someone helps you with the locations. Here is the link:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AiYx6DLSeiiPgYBSfmvPhwGsR_0TkQ

You should also go to the Owners section of the Thor Motorhome website (this link: https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-resource/) and put in the information to establish an account. Once you have an account you can access all the manuals there for all your systems and a list of the model numbers and serial numbers of all the components installed on your specific motorhome. At that site you can also request production drawings for your VIN from Thor. You should ask for all the drawings for the fresh water system, sewer system, and AC & DC layouts and schematics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heater.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	19070  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:31 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Did you look under here?

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:53 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Look at where the water heater is located on the outside of you RV. Now go inside to where that water heater location is. If there are cabinets in that area start removing drawers and look behind heat ducts. Generally the bypass valves are on the opposite side of the water heater toward the inside of the coach. For example, on my Vegas the water heater is located aft of my refrigerator. So inside (picture attached shows my hallway to the rear of the RV) on the left you can see the refrigerator doors. Below the refrig doors near the floor you see that dark rectangular thing -- that's my converter. Just aft of the converter you can see a grill. That is the approximate location of my water heater. When I pull that grill and move the heater ducts the water heater bypass valves are right there on the back of the water heater (as shown in the second picture). Don' know if that is how the ACE is laid out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	19071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heater Bypass.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	19072  

2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:44 AM   #7

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10574
I have an ACE 30.2 and the bypass is under the kitchen sink. You have to remove a wooden panel on the right side to get to it (that also shields the cabinets next to the sink). I can barely get to it, and I’m not that big. I can’t get my head and arms in at the same time. Lol. So mostly do the bypass by feel.

Hauling the family around the country in our 2018 Thor ACE 30.2. Running, cycling or running my agency the rest of the time.
Ferf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:04 AM   #8

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Washington
THOR #15194
thank you so much everyone for the replies. 16ace27 nailed it! Pull out the drawer and WALLA, there they are. There are 3 valves but I know what to do with them. There is a removable panel under the drawer too. I took it off and it is much easier to access the 3 valves instead of taking the drawer out. Now I am a knowledgeable winterizer. I must say this: Every manual, and every owners item on this coach shows NOTHING, period. Why do they think everything is generic? Pretty sad as far as I am concerned. My Winnebago owners manual showed EVERYTHING in detail. The on-line stuff S U C K S.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:07 PM   #9

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 27.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #17813
Hot Water Bypass

Can someone tell me where the bypass is on a 2016 Thor ACE 27.1?
Old 03-12-2020, 09:56 PM   #10

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul0138 View Post
Can someone tell me where the bypass is on a 2016 Thor ACE 27.1?
Behind the water heater! Find the vented WH door on the outside. Figure out where that would be on the inside. Go inside and find the back side of the water heater. You may have to remove a drawer or a wooden panel cover.