Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2022, 10:27 PM   #1

State: Alabama
THOR #8079
Dewinterization

I took these photos before having a local dealership winterize our 2017 Four Winds 31W. My plan was to reverse the valves for de-winterization. However, when I checked the configuration of the valves, they were in the same position as before winterization. Is this not the configuration for non freezing temps? How could they have done the winterization without closing the cross over valve?
Comments?Click image for larger version

Name:	20211220_121017.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	36449Click image for larger version

Name:	20211220_120951.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	36450Click image for larger version

Name:	20211220_120957.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	36451

Old 03-13-2022, 12:04 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Pull the water heater drain plug and see if there is antifreeze in the tank.

Do you have anything that says bypassing the water heater is part of their winterization process? If not, don’t know what you can do.
Old 03-13-2022, 12:23 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
They may have switched them back after the winterization, or simply wasted a bunch of anti freeze and filled the water heater. Pull water heater plug and see what is in the tank.

A tip on dewinterization - check every thing twice, make sure all faucets are off before adding water pressure, take drain plugs out of sinks, make sure water pump is OFF, install heater tank plug, check heater tank cross over valves, and check for leaks with the water pressure applied "barely" cracked open from water supply line. Get a helper to watch inside for any OMGs! And be sure to check all the traps and under cabinets for leaks, pipes, etc. Then, if all is well, apply full pressure and check everything twice again (don't wait until the camping trip to find out about the OMG (you seasoned vets know what I mean))
Old 03-13-2022, 03:51 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappy2 View Post
They may have switched them back after the winterization, or simply wasted a bunch of anti freeze and filled the water heater. Pull water heater plug and see what is in the tank.

A tip on dewinterization - check every thing twice, make sure all faucets are off before adding water pressure, take drain plugs out of sinks, make sure water pump is OFF, install heater tank plug, check heater tank cross over valves, and check for leaks with the water pressure applied "barely" cracked open from water supply line. Get a helper to watch inside for any OMGs! And be sure to check all the traps and under cabinets for leaks, pipes, etc. Then, if all is well, apply full pressure and check everything twice again (don't wait until the camping trip to find out about the OMG (you seasoned vets know what I mean))

Great advice. I used to leave the kitchen faucet open to facilitate draining the system through the low point drains. One time when I was alone I hooked up to city water and was busy outside for a time. When I went inside I found the water had been running for some while with the sink cover in place. Water - lots of it - everywhere! My coach has residual floor damage to this day. Lesson learned!!!
Old 03-13-2022, 06:01 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:

Use an air compressor set to 40 to 45 PSI. Will let you know if there are any open faucets or leaks and no helper required. Can also be used to blow our antifreeze before connecting a hose.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:43 PM   #6

State: Alabama
THOR #8079
Quote:

Thanks!