Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2021, 11:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #22044
Drive up ramps

I am looking for some advice and hopefully guidance on where I can purchase some good strong ramps around 10" high to park the front tires of my Thor Hurricane 34J on to level it out when it is parked on the pad I had built for it. I was hoping it would have been done more level but when it was all done and $3800 bucks later it is still at about an 8% down grade. I want to park it level so there is no stress on any of the components or the residential refrigerator. I did build some steps with 2" thick and 10" wide lumber but it just split after about 3 months parking it on that. I am hoping that there is someone out there that can guide me to some good strong ramps. All I can find is those little yellow ones that raise it 4" which it is on right now. Any ideas?

Old 12-20-2021, 11:41 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Hundreds of them on Amazon.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 11:47 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Amazon
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 12:12 AM   #4

THOR #22044
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Hundreds of them on Amazon.
Yea but they are all only about 4-6" I need something about 10" tall (ok so come on with the jokes....thats what she said...etc...I see them coming already....) but seriously I am just wondering if there is anything that tall out there.
Old 12-21-2021, 12:35 AM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
You probably aren't going to find leveling ramps that will go 10". I have had good luck with these ramps that get you to 6-1/2". See https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are very heavy truck ramps that will hold 10,000 lbs each. If you want to get to 10", cut two 2x8s for each ramp and stagger them on the bottom. That should get you 9-1/2".

David
Old 12-21-2021, 01:09 AM   #6

THOR #22044
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
You probably aren't going to find leveling ramps that will go 10". I have had good luck with these ramps that get you to 6-1/2". See https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are very heavy truck ramps that will hold 10,000 lbs each. If you want to get to 10", cut two 2x8s for each ramp and stagger them on the bottom. That should get you 9-1/2".

David
Thanks David....I am reading all of the reviews on them and all of the reviews are for cars except one guy said when he put his ford F150 on them they cracked.....may I ask what you are parking on them? My Hurricane weighs 22k pounds...now I know only the front part will be on there but that is the engine part so not sure if they would hold...$145 is a lot to spend if they are just going to crack....
Old 12-21-2021, 01:45 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Question is... who supplied the beer to the guys pouring your concrete slab? .
Old 12-21-2021, 02:29 AM   #8

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I just found a set made out of aluminum made for 20,000 pounds mainly tractor big rigs. They have a 9 inch height lift. They are expensive and heavy. They weigh 90 pounds combined and cost $949.00 from Titan Attachments. Telephone 800 605 8241. I don't think I would invest that much for the ramps but they appear to be made for heavy vehicle applications. They are located in Memphis, Tenn.

Paul
Old 12-21-2021, 03:00 AM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlyzbldcj View Post
Thanks David....I am reading all of the reviews on them and all of the reviews are for cars except one guy said when he put his ford F150 on them they cracked.....may I ask what you are parking on them? My Hurricane weighs 22k pounds...now I know only the front part will be on there but that is the engine part so not sure if they would hold...$145 is a lot to spend if they are just going to crack....
I have an Axis 24.1, 12,500 lbs GVWR. I have used them about a dozen times this year and so far, ok. Your 22,000 lbs may be too much though.

But I only use one on the DRWs, so if you doubled up you might be ok. Of course that would double your cost too, but still cheaper than the heavy ones mentioned above.

David
Old 12-21-2021, 03:58 AM   #10

THOR #22044
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I just found a set made out of aluminum made for 20,000 pounds mainly tractor big rigs. They have a 9 inch height lift. They are expensive and heavy. They weigh 90 pounds combined and cost $949.00 from Titan Attachments. Telephone 800 605 8241. I don't think I would invest that much for the ramps but they appear to be made for heavy vehicle applications. They are located in Memphis, Tenn.

Paul
thanks Paul....I will consider those for sure.....I will see if I can find them....where did you find them? I hope that includes shipping.
Old 12-21-2021, 01:24 PM   #11

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I just did an internet search and found them. Just google the company name Titan Attachments and you will find them.

Good luck
Paul
Old 12-21-2021, 04:25 PM   #12

Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
State: New York
THOR #17969
Titan is an American manufacturing company. I bought a snow blower for my tractor from them and found the quality to be very good.
Old 12-21-2021, 04:53 PM   #13

THOR #22044
Thanks Paul...found them wow that's expensive....I think I am going to talk to the concrete guy again and see if he can just built me a 12" high ramp with slight incline at the end of the current pad so I can just drive up on it.....fingers crossed!
Old 12-21-2021, 05:34 PM   #14

THOR #22044
I just talked to the guy who did the concrete he is a neighbor and he said he could build me a concrete ramp on top of the current pad all the way across the pad 6ft long slight incline with 2 feet wide on top for $1000....so I can just drive right up onto it and not have to worry about setting up ramps. Next week too! So that's taken care of.
Old 12-21-2021, 06:07 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlyzbldcj View Post
I just talked to the guy who did the concrete he is a neighbor and he said he could build me a concrete ramp on top of the current pad all the way across the pad 6ft long slight incline with 2 feet wide on top for $1000....so I can just drive right up onto it and not have to worry about setting up ramps. Next week too! So that's taken care of.
Be sure he puts adequate rebar for reinforcement. You're dealing with a LOT of weight concentrated in a small area. OVERKILL comes to mind. You don't want to be dealing with large structural cracks!
Old 12-21-2021, 06:38 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Question is... who supplied the beer to the guys pouring your concrete slab? .
Yup! What the heck happened?
Couldn't you see that it wasn't even close?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 08:29 PM   #17

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
2X12's... or 2X10's. Just screw 4 or 5 of them together with the incline already cut on each board. Just slide them out of the way when not in use. Cheap but strong option. 5 of them would give you a 7.5" X 10.5" block...cut lengthwise as long as you need for whatever angle you cut as the ramp.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 12:30 AM   #18

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
What stress? The fridge will work. AC will work. If want to use slides just throw down the front levelers and jack it up. But in all reality, for $3800, that pad would’ve been level. Period.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:46 AM   #19

THOR #22044
I asked an RV service manager where I take it for service and he said not a good idea to leave it on levelers for extended period...especially if it takes the front tires off the ground. Yea, I agree that's why he is going to absorb a good deal of the cost to fix it. He is a good neighbor and friend so he will take care of it. He is going to do it next week as long as the snow that's supposed to come takes a detour lol.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:49 AM   #20

THOR #22044
Tried that Bob.....use exactly those boards and they split in just over a month so total waste of money.