Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2021, 09:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Mercedes Citation
State: Illinois
THOR #10168
House batteries

My house batteries only charge when vehicle is running or I put external charger on them. Don’t charge on shore power. 2015 Thor Citation

Old 10-10-2021, 09:37 PM   #2

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Couple things to check.

1. Make sure your shore power is getting power.

2. The plug to the RV is it connect. If you have a plug, that attaches at both ends.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:53 PM   #3

THOR #10168
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgarnat@aol.com View Post
Couple things to check.

1. Make sure your shore power is getting power.

2. The plug to the RV is it connect. If you have a plug, that attaches at both ends.

Have power at my 30 amp outlet cord is hard wired into camper. Put meter on batteries when camper running good voltage and charging. No charging when engine off and plugged in.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:13 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB View Post
Have power at my 30 amp outlet cord is hard wired into camper. Put meter on batteries when camper running good voltage and charging. No charging when engine off and plugged in.
You don't say, but it is assumed you have Switch in Use Mode?

If so; you need to ensure your Converter is working, meaning getting power in 120vac at the Converter and putting out DC (look for a 12vdc light to verify it comes on when on shorepower and in Use mode)?

My guess is that it is either the Use/Store Switch or issue with Converter (fuse, bad converter, etc.)
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:22 PM   #5

THOR #10168
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
You don't say, but it is assumed you have Switch in Use Mode?

If so; you need to ensure your Converter is working, meaning getting power in 120vac at the Converter and putting out DC (look for a 12vdc light to verify it comes on when on shorepower and in Use mode)?

My guess is that it is either the Use/Store Switch or issue with Converter (fuse, bad converter, etc.)

Had plugged in on shore thinking house batteries were charging. Took meter to batteries low voltage at batteries looked at water in batteries low added water to batteries. Now taking charge. I thought even if batteries not working shore power would work. Unless shore power goes to inverter then to house batteries
Old 10-10-2021, 10:38 PM   #6

THOR #13058
Quote:
Had plugged in on shore thinking house batteries were charging. Took meter to batteries low voltage at batteries looked at water in batteries low added water to batteries. Now taking charge. I thought even if batteries not working shore power would work. Unless shore power goes to inverter then to house batteries

You may need to have batteries checked to ensure they are still good. If you have to get new consider a maintenance free battery option.

From what you have stated, I am sure your shorepower was working even with bad batteries. It flows from Shorepower, to Converter, and then to Batteries. Your Converter was likely trying to charge the batteries but couldn't.

The above is different circuit flow from House Battery to the Inverter that creates 120 vac.

The only thing that I didn't quite follow is why the batteries charged with the external charger? Maybe the charging from converter just finished off an already low water battery?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-10-2021, 11:23 PM   #7

THOR #10168
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

You may need to have batteries checked to ensure they are still good. If you have to get new consider a maintenance free battery option.

From what you have stated, I am sure your shorepower was working even with bad batteries. It flows from Shorepower, to Converter, and then to Batteries. Your Converter was likely trying to charge the batteries but couldn't.

The above is different circuit flow from House Battery to the Inverter that creates 120 vac.

The only thing that I didn't quite follow is why the batteries charged with the external charger? Maybe the charging from converter just finished off an already low water battery?

Thanks for help will check batteries tomorrow. I think time for new batteries. What started it auto step didn’t come out when plugged into shore power. What maintenance Free battery would you recommend.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:31 AM   #8

THOR #13058
Quote:
Thanks for help will check batteries tomorrow. I think time for new batteries. What started it auto step didn’t come out when plugged into shore power. What maintenance Free battery would you recommend.
I actually can't recommend a specific battery for you as I don't know all of your specific requirements or use needs.

I can say that any battery that states maintenance free will resolve the issue of running low on water, which is the only recommendation I know for sure.

There are tons of views on batteries and I can't say any of them are wrong just a matter of personal preference and how much money you wish to throw at solving your needs or problems.

In my case, I had had it with adding water to my brand new OEM batteries, the corrosion, and the leaking. I just decided I didn't want to do it anymore. I didn't want to buy battery watering tools either. I also wanted to double my AH capacity. I went from 65ah/battery to 125ah/battery. I bought Pure AGMs that at the time was only about $70/battery more than the Duracell Group 31s at Sams. I do feel comfortable in telling you that I don't think Lithium's are a valid option for most people yet.

I don't recommend the batteries I bought 6 months ago because the price has gone up considerably. I love them, but not more than the $500 I spent on them. So if it were me today... I would break down with three choices.

1. Go to Walmart and buy the best Maintenance Free Solar or RV/Marine FLA you can find. Lowest cost option

2. Go to Sams and buy the Duracell Group 31s RV/Marine AGM (It was $179 6 months ago) What had been my plan for about 6 months

3. Contact VMax Tank or Windy Nation to see best value you can get for Pure AGM RV / Solar House Batteries. I bought 2 of the Vmax Tanks SLR-125 for $250 each, no tax, no shipping, no core and right to my front door. I chose because of price and the AH capacity.