Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Louisiana
THOR #10807
Keeping coach cooler when not in use

Power shade apparently not enough to keep coach from getting extremely hot while parked outside. Any recommendations? Magna Shade maybe? Is it worth it? Thanks in advance...

Old 02-26-2018, 06:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Although shading the windows may help the only way to keep a parked coach cool is to park the entire thing in the shade; like in a pole barn.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:49 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Assuming that running the AC units isn't feasible:
What if you got a couple of those little solar-powered fans, and stuck them up in your windows?
...And also leaving your roof vents open: is that possible?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:19 PM   #4

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
We use Magna Shade. We have it for the front window and the driver and passenger side window. It's expensive but we think it's worth it. It has made a big difference in keeping the MH cooler. It helps blocks the heat from the sun BEFORE it comes into the coach. We also like the added privacy we get, now we can drink our coffee in the morning at the front table and look at whats going on around us without others being able to see us.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Virginia
THOR #5560
I got a roll of reflective insulation from Lowes and put it in the front and side windows between the glass and shade.

This is what I used, you could probably find it cheaper on Amazon.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-3...5-ft-L/1014123
Old 02-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #6

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
If you want to help keep it a little cooler when in storage, then I use Reflective Roll Insulation. You can get it at Lowes or I'm sure on Amazon. I cut it to fit all my windows so it fits in the tracks to keep it tight to the windows. You can also cut it to fit the windshield. This will help to keep the damaging rays from the sun out and helps keep it cooler. I also have the Maxxair vent covers so I can keep my vents open even when it rains. I have the little window at the sink open to help keep the air circulating and that will also help keep the MH from getting mildew. I only use my Magna Shade when I'm on a trip, but I do keep the Reflective Insulation on the back window and also on the windows by the couch and dinette.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:29 AM   #7

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
This is my solution. Keeps off sun, rain, trash, etc. $3800. delivered and set up. I put in 30 amp electric plug and a water line. Fits my needs perfectly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pole barn4.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	9197  
Old 02-28-2018, 01:34 AM   #8

Model: Hurticane 34J
State: Massachusetts
THOR #1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post
This is my solution. Keeps off sun, rain, trash, etc. $3800. delivered and set up. I put in 30 amp electric plug and a water line. Fits my needs perfectly!
Chief, love the carport. That is perfect and looks great. Where did you get that from? I would love to get one as well.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:06 AM   #9

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Affordable Buildings, LLC. BROOKSVILLE, Fl. Affordablebuildingsllc.com
Old 04-03-2018, 01:37 PM   #10

Model: 24ft Chateau
THOR #9537
Hello from Miami Fl, I have a 24 C parked at home. I am lucky that I have it connected so I have placed a fan that I got at Walmart on the overhead bed and open all vents. I have actually stayed inside watching tv. Funny that I get some channels I don't get at home.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #11

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
When it is 105 degrees outside and the sun is beating down on your coach, frankly, nothing but running the AC's, and or getting it inside, or at least in the shade will make much difference. On all RV's the walls are just very thin and not well insulated, so you are dealing with that 'greenhouse' heating effect.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I suddenly feel as if I'm ALMOST willing to accept our miserable Winter weather...
Old 04-03-2018, 05:14 PM   #13

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I love our winters, but then we are not in New York.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
This year was just...crappy!
We ended up with about a 30% increase in our snowfall total...
But we also had long periods of melting, and a lot of rain mixed in.
The only upside to the Winter? We never got below zero!
Old 04-03-2018, 06:32 PM   #15

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramster70 View Post
Power shade apparently not enough to keep coach from getting extremely hot while parked outside. Any recommendations? Magna Shade maybe? Is it worth it? Thanks in advance...
If you have access to AC power, maybe one of those "portable" AC's? My Son uses one in his house and it cools down the kitchen pretty well.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
EntroSys makes a system for motorcyclists.
Perhaps they have something else that is 12 volt powered...

Motorcycle Air Conditioning by EntroSys
Old 04-03-2018, 06:42 PM   #17

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Virginia
THOR #9819
DIY Sunscreen blocks front ACE 29.2 window heat gain

We have a 2012 Thor ACE. To minimize heat gain, we use Prodex aluminized foam insulation (Reflective insulation for metal buildings, pole barns and houses, though I'm sure Home Depot, etc. has something similar) cut to fit in all the windows and ceiling skylights. It's cheap and very effective. A piece under your mattress will make your bed warmer too. But the front window is large, curved and hard to get to, so we opted for an exterior shade. The interior ones provided by Thor are for a visual barrier, not insulation (and don't work all that well anyway, so we never put them down).

We looked at Magna Shade, and while they're very nice, at about $500 (as I recall) they were too expensive. Fortunately, we have an alternative which works nicely.

We live in a passive solar house we built about 40 years ago. To avoid heat gain in the summer for the house (and our greenhouse), we use 90% shade cloth. Others probably make these as well, but we've used the Growers Supply division of FarmTek for years and the quality is high (FarmTek - Hydroponic Fodder Systems, Farming & Growing Supplies, Hoop Barns, Poultry & Livestock Equipment, High Tunnels, Greenhouses & More).

Their 90% shade cloth is a dark green, though it comes in other grades as well. On the house we put them up on an overhang in the spring and take them off in the fall, allowing full sunlight in the winter. We get about 10 seasons out of the shades before they begin to unravel on account of solar degradation.

The shade for the front of our Thor cost about $70 (including brass grommets and hemming, which I recommend) and I asked for the extra material (at no additional cost), since the 42" x 100" shade is taken out of a larger piece. If doing it again, I think I'd add another 2" to each side, making the shade 104" wide. The window is 40", and I had already added 2" more for the height. Increasing the width would make it easier to install without worrying about perfect centering.

If, over time, the elastic straps don't work as well as they seem to now, I can glue neodymium magnets (https://www.kjmagnetics.com/) into pockets which I can sew onto the shade using some of the extra cloth. This, plus some magnets for the inside of the glass would give me a poor man's version of the Magna Shade.

But the four elastic straps ($2.75 ea at Home Depot) seem to work well and should last at least 2 or 3 seasons. So far, the plastic hooks on the straps haven't scratched the finish. I think these are better than metal hooks.

In the photo, you'll also notice I use a couple of blocks of dense packing foam to both hold down the bottom of the shade as well as lift the wiper blades off the window so the blades, which are not cheap, might last a little longer.

The disadvantage to this system is the requirement for a small step stool (short ladder) to reach a good "hook point" near the top edge of the RV. The awning bracket and slide make handy hook anchors, as do the rims of the front wheels. Other RV brands / models will likely have different attachment points. If you are prone to dizziness or don't like ladders, this is probably not a good technique for you.

Another consideration is that the cloth is not entirely opaque. It allows you to just barely see out during the day, allows very filtered light in and no one can see in, which is nice, but also allows for the "fishbowl" effect at night if you have interior lights on, so you'll want interior drapes or something similar for privacy.